GD&T Workbench for FreeCAD

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ajoeiam

Re: GD&T Workbench for FreeCAD

Post by ajoeiam »

akredd wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 pm
ajoeiam wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm ...
Was introduced to it in my apprenticeship and didn't see that much use in industry but find that the concepts are very much useful.
Its not just tolerances - - - - those are easy and if all you've got is a pin in a hole that's sort of straight forward.
Hello,
that's the point - it is not much used in industry yet. But ISO 1101 (Tolerances of form, orientation, location and run-out (ISO 1101:2012 + Cor. 1:2013)) and ISO 25178-1 (Surface texture: Areal – Part 1: Indication of surface texture (ISO 25178-1:2016)) are changed to be used in 3D. So some additional labels are created for direction (in a drawing it is mostly in direction of the plain paper) e.g. All this is documented in ISO 16792 (Technical product documentation - Digital product definition data practices) as used by juanvanyo. The problem is, I can have a look at ISO 1101 and 25178, but not on ISO 16792. And I know that it is not allowed by law in Germany to share ISO's. You have to buy them at Beuth-Verlag. :(
I think it would be very useful to have a 3D-representation of GD&T and to have it in the STEP-export. Only than it makes sense. In my dayly work at Creo I see, that some of that features works good there, but they are not easy to create (in the sense of a machining engineer).
I will try to work with GD&T next time to give some feedback here, because I have a bit of time now. Our factory is closed a while due to crisis and corona.
Stay helthy
Andreas
Hmmmmmmmm - - - - I understand that G D & T isn't much used but then there also seems to be this HUGE divide between those on the shop floor and those sitting in the engineering office. Experience has shown that quite often any flaws in fabrication are leveled at the shop floor - - - yet the engineering office didn't seem to want to take time to specify what they did what - - - - and why. The second part is very important. If some 'feature' is listed as being removed in the future, say something used to assist in assembly, without specifications (which should be included in the G D & T) - - - - well a mess results.

Have also found that tolerances that are just taken sorta blindly from engineering specifications often result in parts that don't work in real life. There is this crazy balancing act between tolerances that are useful and fit the intended use function and the abstract concepts in designing something.

I'm not sure how burying very useful specifications inside extremely expensive documents actually helps industry - - - imo it just makes standards publishers rich. Not sure what even to ask for so that it is possible to create models that are useful tools in the production of artifacts. Just doing things has far too high a likelihood of heading in a direction that doesn't fit the standards yet not having reasonable access to the standards does exactly that.

Maybe its time for some standards to be open sourced? (Likely not going to happen but without asking for it it never will happen!)
akredd

Post by akredd »

ajoeiam wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 pm Hmmmmmmmm - - - - I understand that G D & T isn't much used but then there also seems to be this HUGE divide between those on the shop floor and those sitting in the engineering office. Experience has shown that quite often any flaws in fabrication are leveled at the shop floor - - - yet the engineering office didn't seem to want to take time to specify what they did what - - - - and why. The second part is very important. If some 'feature' is listed as being removed in the future, say something used to assist in assembly, without specifications (which should be included in the G D & T) - - - - well a mess results.
Yes, I must agree with that. Therefore it is in my opinion necessary to implement the ISO, not things that are usually done in the engineering office.
Have also found that tolerances that are just taken sorta blindly from engineering specifications often result in parts that don't work in real life. There is this crazy balancing act between tolerances that are useful and fit the intended use function and the abstract concepts in designing something.
That is what engineers normally do: you need +- 0,1 mm and write in the drawing +- 0,05 mm and hope, that you will get something around +-0,07 or so. ;) Please don't stone me, I work in the engineering office for 38 years now... and that is practice. But that is not the target of GD&T-WB, that is only the responsibility of the engineer. GD&T-WB should give the possibility to mark some elements of the construction with tolerances.
...imo it just makes standards publishers rich.
...Maybe its time for some standards to be open sourced? (Likely not going to happen but without asking for it it never will happen!)
+1
ISO 16792 at Beuth around 200€

But back to the subject: we use in Creo some of the elements GD&T deals with and we pass our parts to the programmers, that are using the NC-module of Creo and they have a look at the tolerances in the part. Drawings are necessary for suppliers that don't use Creo.
ajoeiam

Post by ajoeiam »

akredd wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:53 pm
ajoeiam wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 pm Hmmmmmmmm - - - - I understand that G D & T isn't much used but then there also seems to be this HUGE divide between those on the shop floor and those sitting in the engineering office. Experience has shown that quite often any flaws in fabrication are leveled at the shop floor - - - yet the engineering office didn't seem to want to take time to specify what they did what - - - - and why. The second part is very important. If some 'feature' is listed as being removed in the future, say something used to assist in assembly, without specifications (which should be included in the G D & T) - - - - well a mess results.
Yes, I must agree with that. Therefore it is in my opinion necessary to implement the ISO, not things that are usually done in the engineering office.
That is what engineers normally do: you need +- 0,1 mm and write in the drawing +- 0,05 mm and hope, that you will get something around +-0,07 or so. ;) Please don't stone me, I work in the engineering office for 38 years now... and that is practice. But that is not the target of GD&T-WB, that is only the responsibility of the engineer. GD&T-WB should give the possibility to mark some elements of the construction with tolerances.
...imo it just makes standards publishers rich.
...Maybe its time for some standards to be open sourced? (Likely not going to happen but without asking for it it never will happen!)
+1
ISO 16792 at Beuth around 200€

But back to the subject: we use in Creo some of the elements GD&T deals with and we pass our parts to the programmers, that are using the NC-module of Creo and they have a look at the tolerances in the part. Drawings are necessary for suppliers that don't use Creo.
<rant on
I'm thinking that it might be time to tell the ISO to take a hike and actually make the drawings (modelings) useful. But that means that not only dimensions but also tolerances need to be considered in the same breath. The original idea of the engineer was the lab that worked to build the bloody engine (through most if not all the parts) and then worked with the fitters assembling it, then he was involved in the run in trial and the disassembly in the production shop. Then he was responsible for the packing and shipping of all the bits and when it arrived at 'his' facility he was responsible to set it up and run the bloody thing. Somehow today the idea is to for the design office to tell the guys making the parts as little as possible. Then when things don't work the outcry is huge but the real problem is that too much information has fallen through the cracks. Now enough tradespeople just don't give a crap but there should be enough information on the print so they can produce good parts.
(Not you likely but its frustrating when you ask after information and then after you're told go ahead and then the parts are bad you get hauled on the carpet. ) rant off>

Tried using the 'Tech Draw' WB - - - - its a Rubik's cube in 14 dimensions at this point.

Oh yes - - - - 200 Euros - - - - and if you're lucky its 12 sides of information.
So instead of something that makes things function better or helps set up things for success - - - - the standards provider gets rich.
Not terribly practical - - - - unless of course you butt is parked at the trough called the standards publisher.

I do wish there were some way to help kickstart the G D & T WB!!!
akredd

Post by akredd »

I tried to use GD&T step by step. My system is as following;
OS: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (GNOME-Flashback:GNOME/gnome-flashback-compiz)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

First I made a small Part and than I picked one of the Faces. AnnotatioonPlane was activated as expected. After clicking "Add Annotation Plane" I got the following issue:
App::FeaturePython / AnnotationPlane: Links go out of the allowed scope
Can I ignore that?
Attachments
grundteil.png
grundteil.png (28.79 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
grundteil.FCStd
(32.61 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

ust tried to use the GD&T wb, but it doesn't seem to install correctly. Nothing appears on any menu,
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21777 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 478823b90967a9b76796c64f74b8e3a5440150fa
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

Is the wb dead/not working at all post v16 or is there a successot? If the former it seems a shame, the rest of the world is moving towards MBD and properly combined with TechDraw ensuring 3d/3d drawings match it would be a good plus for FC?

Best Wishes
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

cadcam wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:49 pm ...
Is the wb dead/not working at all post v16 or is there a successot? ...
It is basically dead.
vocx wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:37 am Please note that GDT hasn't been updated in a long time.

Code: Select all

Latest commit b49c167 on May 25, 2017 
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addo ... -455774697
luzpaz wrote: GD&T has not been developed for some time. Perhaps you can open some issues on their repo? It would be really nice to have this WB available for 0.18 as well.
https://github.com/juanvanyo/FreeCAD-GDT/issues
Since this is an external workbench, the author himself should take care of it and maintain it. Otherwise, another developer should fork the repository and maintain it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

akredd wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 pm The problem is, I can have a look at ISO 1101 and 25178, but not on ISO 16792. And I know that it is not allowed by law in Germany to share ISO's. You have to buy them at Beuth-Verlag. :(
FWIW, the basis for ISO 16792 is ASME Y14.41. Which can be downloaded from here: http://gost-snip.su/download/asme_y14_4 ... _practices

But I think you also need the ASME Y14.5: http://www.sharifcadcam.ir/uploaded/2e2 ... 686c4f.pdf

Not sure what's the difference between ANSI standards and ISO standards. Maybe it has something to do with the imperial vs metric system difference.
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

vanuan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:05 am Not sure what's the difference between ANSI standards and ISO standards. Maybe it has something to do with the imperial vs metric system difference.
No. its "local" standard vs international ... : American National Standard Institute vs. International Organization for Standardization. It's who can contribute, discuss and decide.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

vanuan

Post by vanuan »

looo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:00 pm Still, I don't understand why it should be done in 3D. For the job I am currently working on, I do not need this information in 3D. Also if we draw the symbols in 3D we need to somehow create a qgraphicsitem representation to draw them in techdraw which doubles the work. And then we must select which symbols to draw in which view....
I tried to cover it on the wiki page: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Tolerancing

I believe this workbench defines a modern approach to GD&T, where you only store the relations, references, dimensional values in the model.

In this approach, technical documentation is prepared automatically. That is, you only layout labels for better human comprehension. What you see in 3D is only a view for human eyes. The model is inherently linked to the part geometry.

That is, the idea of MBD/PMI as defined in ISO is that you don't do manual work of specifying GT&T twice. There's a single source of truth that can be used by manufacturing (CAM), measuring (CMM) and inspection (CAI) software.

I suppose in the modern factory you don't see blueprints anymore. Neither in a paper nor in electronic form. All measurements are done by a machine that only presents information to a human for evaluating whether the error rate is critical to stop the production line and investigating what went wrong.

As to how to use GD&T in CAD, that is how a designer should specify those tolerance values to a machine, which is for software developers and UX designers to define. It isn't specified in the standard. The standard only specifies meaning and presentation. That is what those GT&T values mean and how they should be presented in 2D, in 3D, in the STEP file. Though, I doubt 2D is still used at the industrial level other than for service-level documentation.

So, there are 3 parts to implement a GD&T viewer:
  • An internal model useful for UX and validation
  • A machine-readable representation (a STEP file)
  • A human-readable representation (3D view and 2D drawings)
To implement a GD&T editor you need to add:
  • UX to create/modify a GD&T model definition
  • UX to change automatic layout (show/hide/move labels in 2D and 3D)