How to get rid of pep8 error E266 in FEM?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: How to get rid of pep8 error E266 in FEM?

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 pm Would it be possible to show how you would make it, on an example def in this file https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... cxtools.py ?
Wow. This uses the Doxygen style very well. It's good if you plan to use Doxygen exclusively, but I'd prefer the Python style.

Code: Select all

## Sets CalculiX ccx binary path and validates if the binary can be executed
    #  @param self The python object self
    #  @ccx_binary path to ccx binary, default is guessed:
    #  "bin/ccx" windows, "ccx" for other systems
    #  @ccx_binary_sig expected output form ccx when run empty.
    #  Default value is "CalculiX.exe -i jobname"
    def setup_ccx(self, ccx_binary=None, ccx_binary_sig="CalculiX"):
        error_title = "No CalculiX binary ccx"
        error_message = ""
        from platform import system
        ccx_std_location = FreeCAD.ParamGet(
            "User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Fem/Ccx"
        ).GetBool("UseStandardCcxLocation", True)
Becomes this

def setup_ccx(self, ccx_binary=None, ccx_binary_sig="CalculiX"):
        """Set Calculix binary path and validate its execution.

Parameters
	----------
	ccx_binary : str, optional
	    It defaults to `None`. The path to the `ccx` binary. If it is `None`,
	    the path is guessed.
	ccx_binary_sig : str, optional
	    Defaults to 'CalculiX'. Expected output from `ccx` when run empty.

Raises
	------
	Exception
        """
        error_title = "No CalculiX binary ccx"
        error_message = ""
        from platform import system
        ccx_std_location = FreeCAD.ParamGet(
            "User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Fem/Ccx"
        ).GetBool("UseStandardCcxLocation", True)
You are supposed to add things like Exceptions and return values if they exist. I think this is an excellent summary Example NumPy Style Python Docstrings. And also numpy docstring guide.

By the way, in those type of functions, I find it odd that the argument is a string, but the default is None. The default value should also be a string, with the default path.

def setup_ccx(self, ccx_binary="bin/ccx", ccx_binary_sig="CalculiX"):
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

vocx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:40 pm
bernd wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 pm Would it be possible to show how you would make it, on an example def in this file https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... cxtools.py ?
Wow. This uses the Doxygen style very well. It's good if you plan to use Doxygen exclusively, but I'd prefer the Python style.
This was not added by me. I prefere the Python on too. I would like to switch to the Python one. That is why I am gone ask.

Thanks for providing the example.

Ahh I have another one. See files in this directory. Most of them have a structure like this file: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... tSource.py How do I use the Python style here ? Line 27 and 38 give a pep8 error.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:32 am How do I use the Python style here ? Line 27 and 38 give a pep8 error.
You can't. That instruction ##\addtogroup FEM is added on purpose in order to include this particular function in the documentation of FEM. I don't know if it's really necessary, to be honest, as Doxygen should automatically find and document each file.

My suggestion would be to remove one symbol, # \addtogroup FEM. This will stop the PEP8 errors. But then you need to test if the Doxygen documentation with make DevDoc is correctly generated. If it's correctly generated, then there is no need to use \addtogroup. However, if the class no longer appears in the documentation, that means the instruction was added specifically to be picked up by Doxygen; in this case there is not much to do except leave it there.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:46 pm but how about these ones ... https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... #L229-L284
I think these are class variables, right? In that case, they should be documented in Numpy style at the beginning of the class, in the __init__ method, or in the class docstring. They could still be documented in the code, but then it's not necessary to use the Doxygen style, with double ## Hashes.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

vocx wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:32 am
bernd wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:46 pm but how about these ones ... https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... #L229-L284
I think these are class variables, right? In that case, they should be documented in Numpy style ... , or in the class docstring. They could still be documented in the code, but then it's not necessary to use the Doxygen style, with double ## Hashes.
makes sense to me too and is much better to read if someone would like to use the class for the first time.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

What is the difference between:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... Control.py

## \addtogroup FEM
#  @{

module code

##  @}
and
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... tential.py

## @package ViewProviderFemConstraintElctrostaticPotential
#  \ingroup FEM
#  \brief FreeCAD FEM view provider for constraint electrostatic potential object

module code

no more comments on module end
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:23 pm What is the difference between:
I... don't know.

I think the only way of really knowing is to test it. Basically, create a group, use \addtogroup in some files, and \ingroup in others, with @{ and @}, and without, and see what type of documentation is produced with doxygen Doxyfile.

I would like to do these tests, but it's a lot of work, and testing "live", with the FreeCAD source code, is also hard because it's a very extensive code base, so any changes trigger a lot of changes in the produced Doxygen documentation. Therefore, this should be tested on a small scale, but I haven't had much time to do this since I rewrote Doxygen.

I have the impression that probably @{ and @} aren't needed, but they were added in the past to many source files to force Doxygen picking the code up. As with many things in FreeCAD, there is no clear explanation, and people just copied things from previous source files.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

most of them where added with git commit af97583

Even back than both where used ...