LibLathe - Lathe Path Generation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Wsk8

Re: LibLathe - Lathe Path Generation

Post by Wsk8 »

dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm Thanks for testing the turning add-on and thank you for your feedback.
blue0cean wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:59 pm I tried a simulation on Linuxcnc today and I noticed that when generating G code in my version a Y-axis is generated in the output. Can I set something else here in the processor?
There currently is no post process that is intended for lathe use and to be honest I haven't even tried it myself yet.
Y-Axis is explicitly added to params like here: https://github.com/dubstar-04/LibLathe/ ... #L260-L267
If you remove Y there, it shouldn't be outputted by post processor.
blue0cean

Post by blue0cean »

ok I tried to find and adapt all Y program lines. Unfortunately the Linuxcnc processor still produces Y 0,000 lines.
Do those lines 260-267 think I'm just for the lead out?
I don't want to be pushed, there are more important things than this adaptation. I will support you with further tests.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Wsk8 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:33 pm
dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm Thanks for testing the turning add-on and thank you for your feedback.
blue0cean wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:59 pm I tried a simulation on Linuxcnc today and I noticed that when generating G code in my version a Y-axis is generated in the output. Can I set something else here in the processor?
There currently is no post process that is intended for lathe use and to be honest I haven't even tried it myself yet.
Y-Axis is explicitly added to params like here: https://github.com/dubstar-04/LibLathe/ ... #L260-L267
If you remove Y there, it shouldn't be outputted by post processor.
Oh Yeah! :oops:

Thanks for pointing that out!

https://github.com/dubstar-04/LibLathe/issues/134

Dan
Last edited by dubstar-04 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

blue0cean wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:59 am ok I tried to find and adapt all Y program lines. Unfortunately the Linuxcnc processor still produces Y 0,000 lines.
Do those lines 260-267 think I'm just for the lead out?
I don't want to be pushed, there are more important things than this adaptation. I will support you with further tests.
I haven't tried posting any lathe code however, I assume the posts will need to be adapted to output usable lathe gcode.

It is on my to do list but would be useful if someone could investigate and advise.

The current prority with LibLathe is reworking the core functions that:
  • Evaluate the path and ensure we are working within the parameters of the selected tool
  • Perform the path offsetting

This is a tricky thing to get right but it forms the foundation of library. Once this is right everything else will be simplier to impliment.

My aim is to get LibLathe and the Turning add-on in to a 'testable state' sometime after the release of 0.20 and then start to incorperate the add-on into the Pathwork bench.

To be clear, the add-on and liblathe are currently 'Very Experimental' and not intended for use beyond testing and experimentation, its great that there is interest in testing and providing feedback but please don't expect it to produce anything suitable for running on a machine, also note that things may seem to work one day and be terribly broken then next.

Thanks,

Dan
Wsk8

Post by Wsk8 »

I removed all "Y"s here: https://github.com/dubstar-04/LibLathe/ ... #L214-L267

Then Y-coordinate isn't outputed by post processors (tested grbl and linuxcnc)

Since we don't have an Y-axis, i think that is the correct way. Or why should we keep Y?
blue0cean

Post by blue0cean »

Hello WsK8,
i tried it too. My Linuxcnc post processor is still outputting Y coordinates. In the attachment my files.

b0
Wsk8

Post by Wsk8 »

You have to delete the old OPs (generated with previous script) and reapply them.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

blue0cean wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:43 am Hello WsK8,
i tried it too. My Linuxcnc post processor is still outputting Y coordinates. In the attachment my files.

b0
Please don't share copies of LibLathe on the forum. It will lead to confusion.

Use a pastebin if you want to share copies.

Thanks,

Dan
blue0cean

Post by blue0cean »

Sorry, just removed it.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

blue0cean wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:17 pm Sorry, just removed it.
Really appreciated, thank you.