Path Workbench missing from Freecad Daily

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
victordamasceno

Path Workbench missing from Freecad Daily

Post by victordamasceno »

I have FreeCAD (version 0.18.3 release date 2019/07/19 03:19:03) and FreeCAD Daily (version 0.19 release date 2019/09/13 21:10:32) installed on my Ubuntu 18.04 machine.

From the FreeCAD Python console: Python 3.6.8 (default, Aug 20 2019, 17:12:48)

When I try to create a 3D surface path (which I've done before) using FreeCAD Ver 0.18.3, I get the following error and no path is generated:
PathOpGui.INFO: Title: 'Surface'
Surfacing Select Mode
Free Select
StepOver is 80
base object: Clone
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathUtils.py", line 61, in new_function
res = function(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathOp.py", line 477, in execute
result = self.opExecute(obj)
File "/usr/share/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSurface.py", line 162, in opExecute
output = self._dropcutter(obj, s, bb)
File "/usr/share/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSurface.py", line 308, in _dropcutter
for n in xrange(0, Nx):
<class 'NameError'>: name 'xrange' is not defined
In FreeCAD Daily, when I try to switch to the Path workbench, I get a pop-up stating "cannot import name 'PathToolLibraryEditor' and the following errors:
cannot import name 'PathToolLibraryEditor'
File "<string>", line 75, in Initialize
File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathGuiInit.py", line 80, in Startup
from PathScripts import PathToolLibraryEditor
I haven't deleted anything from any of the paths and am not versed at all in python to troubleshoot on my own - any suggestions?
Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Path Workbench missing from Freecad Daily

Post by chrisb »

Did you try the Appimages?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
victordamasceno

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:27 am Did you try the Appimages?
No, I have them installed from the freecad-maintainers PPA for both versions (freecad-stable and freecad-daily).

For the FreeCAD stable, I figured I'd try my luck and edited the PathSurface.py and changed "xrange" to "range" because I read somewhere that xrange is not supported by Python 3. This worked and I can generate 3D surfaces again in FreeCAD stable - however, multipass is missing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

victordamasceno wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 am For the FreeCAD stable, I figured I'd try my luck and edited the PathSurface.py and changed "xrange" to "range" because I read somewhere that xrange is not supported by Python 3. This worked and I can generate 3D surfaces again in FreeCAD stable - however, multipass is missing.
Is this bug still in 0.19? If so, please provide a pull request to make the improvements available for all users.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

victordamasceno wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:59 am In FreeCAD Daily, when I try to switch to the Path workbench, I get a pop-up stating "cannot import name 'PathToolLibraryEditor' and the following errors:
File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathGuiInit.py", line 80, in Startup
I haven't deleted anything from any of the paths and am not versed at all in python to troubleshoot on my own - any suggestions?
Thanks
If you look in https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... athScripts you will notice the file PathToolLibraryEditor.py is missing because when a developer creates a new Python file such as this one on 5th September then they are required to ensure that a Merge request is created also on the Debian side of things as per https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 31#p312983
I'm wondering if on the Github Pull Request submission there should be some kind of alert/reminder to carry out this procedure if required.

dubstar-04 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:42 pm ping
victordamasceno

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:37 pm
victordamasceno wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 am For the FreeCAD stable, I figured I'd try my luck and edited the PathSurface.py and changed "xrange" to "range" because I read somewhere that xrange is not supported by Python 3. This worked and I can generate 3D surfaces again in FreeCAD stable - however, multipass is missing.
Is this bug still in 0.19? If so, please provide a pull request to make the improvements available for all users.
To clarify, my comment is on the stable version (0.18.3) - I cannot get path workbench on freecad daily.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:37 pm
@chrisb, I've created a PR to go into 0.18.4 for the two files in Path that have this bug https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2541 this is the first time I've done a PR against an older version so I hope it's correct.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:35 pm Could you please review PR2541 with regard to version 0.18
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Syres wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm
victordamasceno wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:59 am In FreeCAD Daily, when I try to switch to the Path workbench, I get a pop-up stating "cannot import name 'PathToolLibraryEditor' and the following errors:
Thanks
If you look in https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... athScripts you will notice the file PathToolLibraryEditor.py is missing because when a developer creates a new Python file such as this one on 5th September then they are required to ensure that a Merge request is created also on the Debian side of things as per https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 31#p312983
I'm wondering if on the Github Pull Request submission there should be some kind of alert/reminder to carry out this procedure if required.

dubstar-04 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:42 pm ping
I didn't know about this!

Thank you for letting me know. I will have a look at it next week.

I apologise for any inconvenience!
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Syres wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm ... when a developer creates a new Python file such as this one on 5th September then they are required to ensure that a Merge request is created also on the Debian side of things as per https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 31#p312983
This is not entirely accurate.

See Kremitzki's reply.
kkremitzki wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:20 pm
vocx wrote:
kkremitzki wrote: In the ppa/daily branch itself, there is a copy of the source, but basically that branch was forked from the packaging master branch so it's just whatever was in there at the time, probably some 0.18.x.
Okay. So I think I understand why in previous threads I said the files in the salsa.debian/ppa-daily were not up to date. The only thing that needs to be up to date is the debian/ directory, the rest can be in whatever state it was. Is this right?
That's correct. Everything else in there may as well be deleted, in fact.
Only the files inside debian/ (freecad-daily-runtime.install) need to be updated, to build the Ubuntu daily package. The rest of the tree doesn't even need to be touched; it can be deleted, in fact.

The thread is Error after upgrading (freecad daily).
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.