Feature Request: Adding the 'Legend' for the variables in Path Job-Edit Dialog -> Output Panel

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Feature Request: Adding the 'Legend' for the variables in Path Job-Edit Dialog -> Output Panel

Post by Kunda1 »

Adding the variables (Path_Job#Output) for the output file, in a Legend box within the Task Panel

The idea is that there would be an area in the dialog that had a Legend with the wildcard variables the user can use:

Code: Select all

Legend
----------
%D directory of the active document
%d name of the active document (without extension)
%M user macro directory
%j name of the job
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: Adding the 'Legend' for the variables in Path Job-Edit Dialog -> Output Panel

Post by mlampert »

This is a considerable diversion from the current UX status quo and I was wondering where it comes from. The legend is displayed in the tooltip of the entry field, as it is for all other fields. Why we would want to add the legend for the "Output File" and not - for instance - for "Arguments", or the "Fixture" ... ?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: Adding the 'Legend' for the variables in Path Job-Edit Dialog -> Output Panel

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:51 pm img
I have to scroll to see both images at the same time. That makes it difficult to see if there is any difference. Could you give me a pointer, please?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:45 am
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:51 pm img
I have to scroll to see both images at the same time. That makes it difficult to see if there is any difference. Could you give me a pointer, please?
It was the same image.. but I forgot I attached it to the thread (it was too large so I deleted it)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:51 pm Adding the variables (Path_Job#Output) for the output file, in a Legend box within the Task Panel

Code: Select all

Legend
----------
%D directory of the active document
%d name of the active document (without extension)
%M user macro directory
%j name of the job
chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:45 am
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Of course it is helpful to have always information needed at hand. But as far as I can see these informations are used not very often. For many models they are used at most once, and even if models have a job these entries are often created via a template.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.