[Feature Added] Capturing base geometry

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
xf3qc

[Feature Added] Capturing base geometry

Post by xf3qc »

Would be nice to be able to save/copy selected geometry from one operation to another.
RatonLaveur

Re: Capturing base geometry

Post by RatonLaveur »

We would need more details than that to start discussing this.

What do you mean exactly? pictures? Would it solve an existing problem?
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

xf3qc wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 am Would be nice to be able to save/copy selected geometry from one operation to another.
This is where PathWB 2.0 is headed, if I understand current discussions on the future of said workbench.

Although, it could be implemented now. Add a ComboBox in the Base Geometry panel to allow selection of base geometries from existing operations, then retrieve those geometries and populate the current operation therewith. Whalah ! Done.

Russ
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Morning,
xf3qc wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 am Would be nice to be able to save/copy selected geometry from one operation to another.

Okay, so I had an idea and pulled an all-nighter. My wife reminded me it is now 4:00 am in OUR time zone. Well, it is done, except for removing a few lines of code needed to test without compiling. When I am ready to compile, I'll remove/fix the `if` clauses to permanent status and compile for testing and update the PR.

With the proposed PR, Path: New feature - import base geometry from existing operations in Job #3537,you will be able to import Base Geometry from an existing operation within the same Job. This PR places a Job Operations list in the Base Geometry task panel with a corresponding `Import` button. Just use the alphabetized operations list to select the source operation and click `Import`. And... Whalah! The Base Geometry list is populated with the base geometry from the selected operation. You can still add, remove, and clear as usual.

Good night. No, Good morning?!

Church in a few hours followed by my son's soccer game, so I better sleep a spell.

The PathWB Dev Team
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sleep well, and thanks for the effort!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

RatonLaveur wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 am We would need more details than that to start discussing this.

What do you mean exactly? pictures? Would it solve an existing problem?
It would allow for additional solutions to existing problems.

Example: Finishing Acrylic
Scenario: 10mm thick part, cut out of acrylic, needs to be bit-polished. So the last step-down path needs to be a little deeper and CCW instead of CW.
Currently, i'd have to make a duplicate a cut, or make a new cut and re-select all base geometry. Now, what if I have multiple finishing cut; It would be convenient to have a "cut-group" and populate it with construction geometries. And duplicating cut-groups instead of individual cuts (this is another topic)
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

Russ4262 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 am Morning,

Okay, so I had an idea and pulled an all-nighter. My wife reminded me it is now 4:00 am in OUR time zone. Well, it is done, except for removing a few lines of code needed to test without compiling. When I am ready to compile, I'll remove/fix the `if` clauses to permanent status and compile for testing and update the PR.

With the proposed PR, Path: New feature - import base geometry from existing operations in Job #3537,you will be able to import Base Geometry from an existing operation within the same Job. This PR places a Job Operations list in the Base Geometry task panel with a corresponding `Import` button. Just use the alphabetized operations list to select the source operation and click `Import`. And... Whalah! The Base Geometry list is populated with the base geometry from the selected operation. You can still add, remove, and clear as usual.

Good night. No, Good morning?!

Church in a few hours followed by my son's soccer game, so I better sleep a spell.

The PathWB Dev Team
those are okay hours.

Very very nice. We'll be joining you on this quest.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

About 16 hours prior to this post, @Sliptonic kindly merged the PR. After some usage, I think it would benefit from a slight improvement.

I noticed when editing an existing operation, the operation itself is included in the import list. While not a problem, logically it should not be there.

However, should the use make changes to the Base Geometry[BG], and then wish to revert back to the state at initial editing, they could clear and then import from the same, and I think it would repopulate the BG as it was before opening the task panel to edit. This is a theory of behavior that I have not tested. The only unknown is whether clicking the Apply button after changes to BG would affect the original BG stored prior to editing. So, the inclusion of the actively edited operation in the import list might turn out to be a benefit.

The feature is also lacking any textual instruction or identification. This might be an irritation or otherwise confuse users. I don't recall if a hover tooltip was included for the import list or the Import button.

I will wait for some feedback from the users before coding any changes.

I might go ahead and verify tooltips are present in the UI. If not I will likely make a PR to address them.

Anyhow, this feature should help many users save time.

Enjoy,
The PathWB Dev Team
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

After some more use of the Base Geometry import feature, it would benefit from a filter to limit available import operations to those that are based upon the same model in jobs that contain multiple models(solids).

Currently, if you attempt to import Base Geometry from an operation that has geometry belonging to a different model, there is an error message (pre-existing to this feature) that reminds the user to select features from a single model.

Russ
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Sir, will you please mark this topic title as "[Solved]", "[Merged]", or "[Feature Added]" since PR #3537 was merged with subsequent fix.

Thanks,
Russ