Help: no dressup, no party.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Help: no dressup, no party.

Post by chrisb »

How about that:
Snip macro screenshot-7130c3.png
Snip macro screenshot-7130c3.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Attachments
test-stator-magnets_cb.FCStd
(81.07 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

@Russell
@Chris
voto.gif
voto.gif (7.08 KiB) Viewed 717 times
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

... and here's a more parametric way to do it (just set the angle in the spreadsheet and everything auto-updates) - went for the simplest corner relief (equivalent to what dogbone calls "tbone short edge", I think)
Attachments
stator-magnets.FCStd
(60.98 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Guido,
Giulio Buccini wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:11 pm Even If I manually "cut" the corners by using some cylinders and a boolean-cut operation, the resulting path is far from being optimal... :(
if you make "dogbones" this way, you have to make the entry to the pocket bigger as the tooldiameter to. :)
dogbone_2.jpg
dogbone_2.jpg (35.7 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Gruß Herbert
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

m0n5t3r wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 pm ... and here's a more parametric way to do it (just set the angle in the spreadsheet and everything auto-updates) - went for the simplest corner relief (equivalent to what dogbone calls "tbone short edge", I think)
Uh!
Niceeeee!
(I think I got it, but this will take me a week to understand it well :lol: )
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

herbk wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 pm Hi Guido,
if you make "dogbones" this way, you have to make the entry to the pocket bigger as the tooldiameter to. :)
Yeah, you're right. I realized that after posting the drawing... :oops:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you want to do it in a certain angle, you can do it like this. You simply have to change the angle constraint.
The construction diameter assures that the opening is exactly the half circle, so that nothing is lost: making it the opening wider wouldn't remove enough material, making it narrower would require a hole more off than necessary which would take away too much material.
Attachments
SnipScreenshot-4aaaf8.png
SnipScreenshot-4aaaf8.png (17.22 KiB) Viewed 661 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Thanks! ;)

With this method there is a little bit less material to be removed, if compared to your previous proposal.

It can be an advantage when one has to produce hundred of pieces. In my case I only have to mill few exemplars, so the two approaches are more or less equivalent.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:22 am so the two approaches are more or less equivalent.
That's what I would have guessed, I did it rather to fully understand the problem dogbone myself. The last solution has the advantage that your are free to decide where to leave more material, at the end or at the sides; perhaps influenced by other mechanical conditions.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I haven't tried this myself but could you just extend the arc on both ends by a tiny straight segment. Just enough so the dogbone dressup has G1 moves to work with?