All faces selection in Path (3D Pocket)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DirkM

All faces selection in Path (3D Pocket)

Post by DirkM »

Hi,

I am trying to mill an object from a stl-file. But it seems that I have found no suitable workflow for this. In the end the path is wrong - see attached picture. The actual object has round about 5000 faces.

I have had a success with a test structure made directly in FreeCAD and selected the faces --> ok
But a STL-file has thousands (or more) of faces. I have found no solution for this, because the "3D Pocket" accepts only faces. And clicking them one by one is no solution for me :-) .

I have already tried:
1. STL to shape --> to solid --> no
2. trying to merge faces --> no
3. trying to use a macro to select all faces --> no (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 6&start=10 .. I stopped the macro after 30 minutes. Works fine with several 10 faces)

I think the main problem is the huge number of faces. If there is a solution for this I would be glad.

Thanks in advance.

Dirk

PS: I am using FreeCAD 0.19
Attachments
CAM-TEST.jpg
CAM-TEST.jpg (158.75 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
oeliks

Re: All faces selection in Path (3D Pocket)

Post by oeliks »

3D surface?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DirkM wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:36 pm 1. STL to shape --> to solid --> no
What does this mean? Did the conversion fail?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DirkM

Post by DirkM »

Hi,

@oeliks: This is the problem. You have manually click all surfaces. Does not work for an STL model with thousands of faces...
@chrisb: the conversion to solid works, but 3D Pocket can only work with surfaces (you can click them one be one on the solid, but this is not a solution).

Hope anybody has a solution :-) .

Best

Dirk
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

I don't have a solution but I am curious how many axis your machine has.
Honestly I'm not convinced FreeCAD is capable of milling that but would be very pleased to be proven wrong.
Possibly I don't know what I'm looking at but it appears to be a surface job rather than a pocket job.
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you make a slight cut at the bottom, so that you get an easily deselectable face, then you can try the following:
- select "Set colors" from the object's context menu
- use box selection to select the faces. It is not quite clear to me how this box selection works, you don't have to cover all of a face, but too little doesn't work either.
- in case the bottom was selected too, deselect it using control key to keep the rest
- cancel the color selection => the faces are still selected
- invoke 3D surface => the faces are taken as BaseGeometry

And like jbraun I am interested if and how it works out with the overhangs, please report back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is a post talking about reducing the number of triangles with an external tool. You may have to do a bit more sanding, but that's probably still better than work it manually out of a block :) .
Steveco

Post by Steveco »

When I use the "3D Surface" operation, if I don't select any faces, it defaults to the entire model. On a shape like the one in your screenshot, it's often necessary to uncheck "Boundary Enforcement" checkbox to get toolpaths that go down over the sides.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23074 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 74b866ed3022fd1452c534dae31a721bcc668f2f
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
DirkM

Re: All faces selection in Path (3D Pocket) - solved

Post by DirkM »

Hi,

I testet again a lot of possibilities - see below. Thanks to you I solved this task!

I have simply overseen, that for "3D-Surface" you have to enable experimental features for the path workbench. So in the end I was stuck with "Pocket 3D" and the other unsuited tools.

Thanks to you all for your great help!

Best

Dirk

OLD
@chrisb: I tested this with a small area (350 faces). If I am going with the selected faces into 3D surface you have to wait a couple of minutes. After this I could set up milling operations. I testet with "Pocket_3D" and "MillFace"--> this was really the best idea so far (=selecting faces) but does not work. The tool does not follow the surface - see picture attached.

I uploaded the FreeCAD file, so you could test for yourself. I testes this with a 3 mm miller.

PS: @jbraun: I will test only three axis at this time. Next time hopefully 4 axis :-) .
Attachments
CAM_ok.jpg
CAM_ok.jpg (90.12 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

No FreeCAD file attached.