[Solved] Calculation done but no results

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Worufu

[Solved] Calculation done but no results

Post by Worufu »

Hi, I have a problem with FEM module, it is not clearly reproducible, it happens with huge number of tetrahedrons (>200k) or in re-modified parts.
Calculix works during the simulation, but I cannot see the results; the result icon remains gray and the files in fem folder are all setted at 0kb, with the exclusion of file *.inp. It happens both in windows and in linux version (0.16 and 0.17 freecad version) and in various PCs (desktop single and dual cpu, laptops).
At first time I suspected there were some problem with folder permission in windows, but linux behaviour shows that probably its not the problem.
Do someone suggest a solution? Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Worufu on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fandaL

Re: Calculation done but no results

Post by fandaL »

Welcome to the forum.
.inp file is generated by FreeCAD and it is read by CalculiX. Most probably there is some problem in the .inp file (model definition) which makes CalculiX not to give results. Check window with messages about analysis (or post the copy). Here http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... tilever_3D message window is in the third picture from a bottom. In your FreeCAD there would not be green "CalculiX done" but instead only some message from CalculiX.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

In addition to fandals hint which is what I would recommend to do first as well.

You did not wrote if the problem is with Calculix ccx or with loading the Results into FreeCAD. Could you check if the result files exists? In the folder of the inp file there should be a frd file and a dat file. If they will be created by ccx than the proble is with loading the results, if there are no results than the problem seams with the ccx run. What you could do too is do not use the run button in FreeCAD but use the solver run button instead. You can explicit write the inputfile and run ccx. The output of ccx will be printed in the solver widget. If ccx creates an error it will be printed.

BTW: Have you switched on the the report view in FreeCAD. Where there any error messages?

Ahh and what you could try too. If the results are available but not loaded you could try to open the frd file with FreeCAD, a new analysis with mesh should be created and the results should be loaded.

bernd
Worufu

Post by Worufu »

Oh, thank you so much. I read carefully the log and there was an error (process crashed), I was confused about the end sentence "loading result...". I checked the new working directory but it remains empty, also if click the button "write *.inp file". If I click "Modify *.inp file", freecads open it without problem, where there are all the element definition, but it seems to open a ghost file. Finally I found the inp file in user\appdata\local\ and not in the given folder.

This is the log:
"
0.0: Check dependencies...
44.0: Write completed.
0.0: Check dependencies...
43.4: Write completed.
0.0: CalculiX binary: C:/FreeCAD_0.17.7691_x64_dev_win/bin/ccx.exe
0.0: Run CalculiX...
0.0: Starting CalculiX...
0.0: CalculiX is running...
261.4: CalculiX execute error: PySide.QtCore.QProcess.ProcessError.Crashed
261.4: CalculiX stopped.
261.4: ************************************************************
CalculiX version 2.8p2, Copyright(C) 1998-2015 Guido Dhondt
CalculiX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free
software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions, see gpl.htm
Built for 64 bit Windows by Convergent Mechanical
For the latest version go to: bConverged.com
You are using an executable made on Fri May 1 09:38:01 PDT 2015
Decascading the MPC's
Determining the structure of the matrix:
number of equations
number of nonzero lower triangular matrix elements
Using up to 1 cpu(s) for the stress calculation.
261.4: CalculiX done!
261.4: Loading result sets...
"
However I can't understand if there is a problem in the file permission, when writing *.inp, or in the mesh definition.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Would you post you FreeCAD --> about data? see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Worufu wrote: However I can't understand if there is a problem in the file permission, when writing *.inp, or in the mesh definition.
This looks like the error when Poisson Ratio = 0. Are you using the "None" material?
"fight the good fight"
Worufu

Post by Worufu »

bernd wrote:Would you post you FreeCAD --> about data? see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7696 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7287b479db556da7bc8d33dafc6d0a5b715d427e
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

This is one of the system and freecad version involved
Worufu

Post by Worufu »

sgrogan wrote:
Worufu wrote: However I can't understand if there is a problem in the file permission, when writing *.inp, or in the mesh definition.
This looks like the error when Poisson Ratio = 0. Are you using the "None" material?
Not, I set steel material. But I can't verify if it is written in the right way in *.inp, I cannot find any reference about poisson ratio in it.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Worufu wrote:... Finally I found the inp file in user\appdata\local\ and not in the given folder ...
Worufu wrote:
bernd wrote:Would you post you FreeCAD --> about data? see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7696 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7287b479db556da7bc8d33dafc6d0a5b715d427e
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

This is one of the system and freecad version involved
- Load FEM Workbench
- Meue Edit --> Preferences --> FEM --> Analysis --> working directory

If the Working directory is set in the preferences, and you have writing permissions, it should overwrite any other working directory definition.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Worufu wrote:
sgrogan wrote:
Not, I set steel material. But I can't verify if it is written in the right way in *.inp, I cannot find any reference about poisson ratio in it.

Code: Select all

*MATERIAL, NAME=MechanicalMaterial
*ELASTIC 
210000 ,  0.300
*DENSITY 
7.900e-09, 
youngs modulus = 210000 N/mm2 --> has to be > 0 !
poisons ratio = 0.3