new gmsh remeshing function in FreeCAD

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

new gmsh remeshing function in FreeCAD

Post by bernd »

werner has implemented gmsh remesh tool in Mesh workbench ... git commit a3bf3d1945

as a follows up some questions came up, I am not able to answer but AFAIK some FEM users do know Gmsh better than I do. Thus I quote his post here:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... t-37435729
@berndhahnebach have you watched the talk of C. Geuzaine about gmsh at the FOSDEM? One of the things he was talking about is the new remeshing function introduced with v4.5.
This commit is using this feature for meshes generated from CAD models to do a refinement with well-formed triangles.

Now there are two things I would like to know but couldn't figure out yet:

the remesh function is able to split a model into sub-parts by detecting a network of curves and surfaces. This information would be quite helpful to know for the reverse engineering wb but I don't know how to save and access it.
there is also a recombine function (which already existed in older versions) where you can create a nice mesh from an input mesh with ugly triangles. In the doc some examples from CT scans are shown that apparently create ugly triangles and with gmsh this can be fixed.
However in all my tests I got either bad results or gmsh even crashed
Any idea how to do this? FYI, I am quite new to gmsh
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: new gmsh remeshing function in FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

I created Mesh RemeshGmsh
Someone care to document this command ?
(Or post it here and I'll add it)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs