[not a bug] "Create a new sketch" open selected sketch for editing

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
l3VGV

[not a bug] "Create a new sketch" open selected sketch for editing

Post by l3VGV »

On both 0.18 and 0.19

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Russian/Russia (ru_RU)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19510 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c3eb6d9001c4d60ff7f7cae89f50bd3c965a9940
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Russian/Russia (ru_RU)

So if i have active part and my current selection is a sketch in that part, then clicking "Create a new sketch" will open it for editing. In both 0.19 and 0.18.

In 0.19, If i have a active part, and select a sketch from another part, non active, then clicking "Create a new sketch" will produce an error in
report view

Code: Select all

<Gui> Document.cpp(374): Invalid sub object 'learn_curves#Body.Sketch006.'
in 0.18 those actions do not rise any errors, program just open selected sketch for editing.
Last edited by l3VGV on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: "Create a new sketch" open selected sketch for editing

Post by chrisb »

You posted this in the "Part Design module development" forum. Do you want to work on that behaviour? What is your intention?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
l3VGV

Post by l3VGV »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 pm You posted this in the "Part Design module development" forum. Do you want to work on that behaviour? What is your intention?
First i would like to know if it a "bug", or it is supposed to work like that.

If it is a bug then i willing to help fixing it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

l3VGV wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 pm So if i have active part and my current selection is a sketch in that part, then clicking "Create a new sketch" will open it for editing. In both 0.19 and 0.18.
It is supposed to work like that. The naming could be improved, though; it is not always creating a new sketch.
In 0.19, If i have a active part, and select a sketch from another part, non active, then clicking "Create a new sketch" will produce an error in
report view

Code: Select all

<Gui> Document.cpp(374): Invalid sub object 'learn_curves#Body.Sketch006.'
Recently I see the report view flooded with for me useless error messages, especially since the big merge. It seems to be hip to create red error messages by the dozen in a very normal workflow. I cannot say if what you encountered is an error or not.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
l3VGV

Post by l3VGV »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 pm It is supposed to work like that. The naming could be improved, though; it is not always creating a new sketch.
I see. "Hints" on some buttons do not represent exactly what one can do with them. Not only "create new sketch", "Pad" as another example can do it thing on a selected face, while its hint say "pad selected sketch".

As a new user i do trust those hints blindly. Sorry if it created some misunderstanding.

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 pm Recently I see the report view flooded with for me useless error messages, especially since the big merge. It seems to be hip to create red error messages by the dozen in a very normal workflow. I cannot say if what you encountered is an error or not.
Well, i cant ether. As a user i can only report suspicious behavior and report it.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [not a bug] "Create a new sketch" open selected sketch for editing

Post by chrisb »

I was a bit harsh to the developers who are doing a great job. After all it's a developer version, and if such messages are helpful in the development process, so be it. I hope that for a stable version errors go to a level where they indeed indicate errors.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Recently I see the report view flooded with for me useless error messages, especially since the big merge. It seems to be hip to create red error messages by the dozen in a very normal workflow. I cannot say if what you encountered is an error or not.
I dislike these messages, too. IMO, the best messages are no messages :) -- just like the philosophy in the bash that a utility only writes some output if something went wrong.

In some weeks we will have a feature freeze and then we should pick up and fix all these little annoying things.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Back to OP, I admit that I don't like this behavior. When I want to edit a sketch, I double click on it.
When I click on Create Sketch, I'd like that it creates a sketch whatever is selected. Eventually if a sketch is selected, it could use the same attachment as it. ;)
l3VGV

Post by l3VGV »

openBrain wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:23 am Back to OP, I admit that I don't like this behavior. When I want to edit a sketch, I double click on it.
When I click on Create Sketch, I'd like that it creates a sketch whatever is selected.
What he said!
l3VGV

Post by l3VGV »

wmayer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 am I dislike these messages, too. IMO, the best messages are no messages :) -- just like the philosophy in the bash that a utility only writes some output if something went wrong.

In some weeks we will have a feature freeze and then we should pick up and fix all these little annoying things.
Having a computer time in them(not a program run timer) and verbose level configuration would be nice.
Run time is useful for logs and automated tasks, but not to human operated GUI.

To not cause more confusion with my ruglish, here is some images