Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 pm What is the "Placement" constraint? I searched for it but I can't find it anywhere.
Oops, I got the name wrong. It is the 'Attachment' constraint, the icon just beside PlaneCoinicident constraint. I wanted to named as Placement, but changed idea, because I borrowed upstream Attacher icon for the constraint.

It can be used just like other constraints. Select two element and click the button. It fixes the relation between two parts by align the two selected element. If one of the part is fixed by Lock constraint (or indirectly locked by other Attachment constraint), the other part is considered fixed too. All fixed parts pre-calculates their placement before the solver. It works somewhat like asm4 constraint. In fact, I added this after the request from Zolko right before he starts his work on asm4. Guess he didn't want to wait for my release and went ahead anyway.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
nic

Post by nic »

Talking about icons meaning, I take the opportunity to ask the meaning of icons frame's color code (Nope/ green / red) and icons frame's line pattern (Nope / continuous, dashed)?
Attachments
2020-02-12_06-27.png
2020-02-12_06-27.png (42.83 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

nic wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:28 am Talking about icons meaning, I take the opportunity to ask the meaning of icons frame's color code (Nope/ green / red) and icons frame's line pattern (Nope / continuous, dashed)?
I think that here it is explained really well https://github.com/realthunder/FreeC ... d-Solvers . I'm reading the wiki myself atm but given the complexity of the changes introduced there is really a book to be written lol.

Long story short the framing of the icons is a visual indication of how many arguments a constraint can take( one , two, multiple)
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
nic

Post by nic »

:oops: my bad... I went throught it, but my mind was focused on another topic at this moment. Thanks @OficineRobotica
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Hi,
realthunder wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:40 pm ...
I completed the page of my site: "Go further with Asm3 WB"

http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/025c_ass_ex_creat.php

The example (with commented videos) implements the advice of the Realthunder wiki, and a small design test in the assembly.

Thank you for your comments.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
catman

Post by catman »

OficineRobotica wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 pm I'm sure there are allot of users that still aspect it as an add-on unaware of the presence of it in the latest appimage release.
+1

Acutally, I checked out "FreeCAD_0.19-19443-Linux-Conda_Py3QT5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage". I did not see asm3 in there, just a 4 variables in Tools/Edit Parameters/Preferences/Mod/Assembly3.

Has it been removed from the newer AppImages again?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

catman wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:44 pm Acutally, I checked out "FreeCAD_0.19-19443-Linux-...
Your version is pretty old. We are already in 0.19.19603.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Are the improvements regarding topo-renaming now also in the appimages?
catman

Post by catman »

vocx wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:05 pm Your version is pretty old. We are already in 0.19.19603.
Thanks, I downloaded it last week, but I keep forgetting that the most current ones are behind the "Assets" link. Thanks, I will try this one..
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

HoWil wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:24 pm Are the improvements regarding topo-renaming now also in the appimages?
No. The Assembly3 Workbench is just another Python workbench. So adding it to the current FreeCAD is not such a big problem.

The new code by realthunder to fix the topological naming problem is still not submitted. That code comprises a set of a hundred commits, so it'll take a while for it to be reviewed and merged. I suspect it should come in the following months.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.