Problem Aligning arrays of parts in AP2 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Laurie Hartley

Problem Aligning arrays of parts in AP2 workbench

Post by Laurie Hartley »

I am having trouble aligning a series of arrays in this workbench. The best way I can describe it is that when I try to set the position of the second array despite the fact that the position for each part along the X axis is set at 0 (zero), the parts do not line up. The problem becomes obvious when I click the "transform" dialogue as the arrows show the difference clearly

I think that the problem concerns the axis of rotation on the jack converter but, despite spending a couple of hours on it yesterday, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to resolve the issue. I have never come across this problem before and it completely bamboozled me trying to figure it out so I decided to turn to you guys for help.

A sample file is attached.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
Alignment of Nodes.FCStd
(258.34 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Problem Aligning arrays of parts in AP2 workbench

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum.

I'm sorry I cannot help with your question, but I can see that the two items contained in the file point to some other files, which probably still reside on your harddisk only. You may consider to upload them too.

Furthermore I cannot see even one array in your file, while you talk about a series, so it may be helpful if you describe in detail what you want to do. It is good advice to use the names used in the file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

Chris thanks for your response - and apologies for posting on the wrong board.
The array file is too large to upload and the number of parts in each node type is too many to upload.

I am trying to arrange the two nodes types (in my previous post) to make up a 1500 x 1500 square grid by using the array function in the draft work bench.
when I make an array of the two node types and import them into the AP2 workbench they do not line up.
According to my understanding, because of the positions shown in the placement window of the combo view on the X and Y axis, the "node to skate" part should line up with the holes in the node to jack part.

I hope this explains my problem.
kbwbe
Veteran

Post by kbwbe »

Laurie Hartley wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:54 am I am having trouble aligning a series of arrays in this workbench. The best way I can describe it is that when I try to set the position of the second array despite the fact that the position for each part along the X axis is set at 0 (zero), the parts do not line up. The problem becomes obvious when I click the "transform" dialogue as the arrows show the difference clearly

I think that the problem concerns the axis of rotation on the jack converter but, despite spending a couple of hours on it yesterday, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to resolve the issue.
Your subassembly "Skate to Half Node Assembly_001" is not aligned to the coordinate system. It is placed somewhere in space. Therefore the subassembly does not align with the "Jack Converter" in the main assembly.
Subassembly-Refpoint.png
Subassembly-Refpoint.png (97.78 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Redo the subassembly so that it is concentric to it's own z axis.
KBWBE

https://github.com/kbwbe/A2plus
latest release: v0.4.56, installable via FreeCAD's addon manager
Tutorial: gripper assembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMxcQ5tssWk
Documentation: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/A2plus_Workbench
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

Thanks kbwbe for your response. The skate to half node assembly is actually my second attempt when Inwas having trouble with it the other day. It seems I am repeating the same mistake.

I will have another go at it. Thanks again.
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

Just a bit of Feedback to you guys. I have managed to resolve this issue by creating to new parts. The skate body seems to have been the main culprit.
After a number of attempts I decided to create a sketch from the view from above (200Lx140W) then padded it to 120mm.
I then created a new sketch on one of the end faces (140Wx120H) - the dimensions of the new sketch being 108W by 120H'
I constrained this sketch so that it was positioned 16mm from the top edge and centered it on the end face,
I then created a pocket 250 deep.
This gave me the channel profile I needed for the skate body.
I created new sketches on each face for the remaining holes and pads.

It is probably a long winded way of going about the task but hey - it worked!

Thanks again for your help. The problem is now resolved.
Attachments
Skate Body Blank.FCStd
(82.73 KiB) Downloaded 43 times