Reimplementing constraint solver

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Reimplementing constraint solver

Post by chrisb »

Two recent topics about a flipping sketches made me think again about improvements, and perhaps it worth to be included in your considerations.

We don't have inequalities among the constraints but I think such new kind of constraints aren't even necessary. In many cases an "oriented dimension" would be enough. I'm not sure if it would work in all cases, but it would sure be a relief.

The new dimension would have a start and an endpoint and distinguish between positive and negative values. For a horizontal dimension this would mean that a positive dimension would go from the first point selected always to the right:
Snip macro screenshot-3e9d37.png
Snip macro screenshot-3e9d37.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
and a negative value would always go to the left:
Snip macro screenshot-6165d1.png
Snip macro screenshot-6165d1.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
In the GUI these constraints could live in an icon submenu similar to radius/diameter, or the various regular polygons.

If you think it is worth considering I would think about the arbitrary oriented length constraint, which I haven't done yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:08 am
abdullah wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:35 am In order to avoid this kind of mistakes, I have removed the type from function:
Should I bring similar changes to ParaObject::tieAttr_Child?
nice! yes please :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, I did not manage to.

The Type that tieAttr_Child takes is not the one of of ChildType (e.g. ParaPoint), but the one of the twin Python class (ParaPointPy).

1) I have tried to get the type ParaPointPy from ParaPoint without success.

ParaPointPy has a limited knowledge (string in Type struct of the PyObject) of ParaPoint. But a string is no cool at all for type checking.

ParaPoint does not know about ParaPointPy (other than knowing it is a friend class and a hardcoded type in getPyObject(), which I do not find it usable to extract the type via template metaprograming).

2) It may be possible to get it from the Interpreter, but really I do not like that dependency.

3)As an alternative, I have thought of constraining template function generation (so that we get a compilation error if the parameter is wrong):

Code: Select all

template <  typename ChildType,
                typename PythonType,
                typename = typename std::enable_if<
                    std::is_base_of<ParaObject, typename std::decay<ChildType>::type>::value
                    &&
                    std::is_base_of<ParaObjectPy, typename std::decay<PythonType>::type>::value
                    &&
                    std::is_same< std::decay<typename PythonType::PointerType>::type, typename std::decay<ChildType>::type>::value
             >::type
    >
    void tieAttr_Child(UnsafePyHandle<ChildType>& ref, std::string name, PythonType * type, bool make = false, bool required = true, bool writeOnce = false);

The above does not work because of this:

[code]
std::is_same< std::decay<typename PythonType::PointerType>::type, typename std::decay<ChildType>::type>::value
PointerType is not a member function of PythonType, but a typedef. It is the only place were I see the type information of the twin function coded:

class FCS_G2DExport ParaPointPy : public FCS::G2D::ParaGeometry2DPy
    typedef ParaPoint* PointerType ;
I will give it a further go before giving up. Maybe somebody reads this and says: "C'mmon, you can use XXX"...
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

it should be feasible to completely transfer child attributes to use c++ typesystem.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

abdullah wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 am The fourth case is the typical select a line a hit the angle constraint. How should this be done with FCS?
I guess you'll have to add the fixed axis line and use line-line angle constraint. Writing separate FCS constraint for this case feels a bit wasteful...
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:10 am The new dimension would have a start and an endpoint and distinguish between positive and negative values. For a horizontal dimension this would mean that a positive dimension would go from the first point selected always to the right:
that's pretty much exactly what horizontal-distance and vertical-distance do. The sign is made positive automatically by swapping the endpoints at creation time if necessary, but negative numbers are very well supported.

As for length along a fixed direction - that might be useful, but difficult to use.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:15 pm The sign is made positive automatically by swapping the endpoints at creation time if necessary, but negative numbers are very well supported.
If it is fixed at creation time the sketch from above should never flip. I will do some tests.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:17 pm it should be feasible to completely transfer child attributes to use c++ typesystem.
I tried. Take a look to this:
https://github.com/abdullahtahiriyo/Fre ... 7c37f1ab21

I am facing a problem, that the ChildType::getClassTypeId(); returns type 0. My debugger returns zero even if I evaluate ParaPoint::getClassTypeId().

At first I was thinking that it might relate to the order of initialisation of static data members (getClassTypeId()), but at the position in code where it appears (when adding a line), types should be long initialised.

If the type is zero, then I cannot construct the type.

template <  typename ChildType,
            typename
>
void ParaObject::tieAttr_Child(UnsafePyHandle<ChildType>& ref, std::string name, bool make, bool required, bool writeOnce)
{
    ChildAttribute tmp;
    tmp.value = &(ref.template upcast<ParaObject>());
    tmp.name = name;
    tmp.type = ChildType::getClassTypeId();
    tmp.make = make;
    tmp.required = required;
    tmp.writeOnce = writeOnce;
    _children.push_back(tmp);
}
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

abdullah wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:25 pm I am facing a problem, that the ChildType::getClassTypeId(); returns type 0. My debugger returns zero even if I evaluate ParaPoint::getClassTypeId().
Yes, I also noticed this problem when I exposed sketcher subsystem as console variable: repr strings were like "BadType object". The types are initialized in AppConstraintSolver.cpp, and the code is run when I import ConstraintSolver. Either I have misplaced the typesystem ::init calls, or it should be explicitly invoked by Sketcher. I will look into it asap.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:08 pm
abdullah wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:25 pm I am facing a problem, that the ChildType::getClassTypeId(); returns type 0. My debugger returns zero even if I evaluate ParaPoint::getClassTypeId().
Yes, I also noticed this problem when I exposed sketcher subsystem as console variable: repr strings were like "BadType object". The types are initialized in AppConstraintSolver.cpp, and the code is run when I import ConstraintSolver. Either I have misplaced the typesystem ::init calls, or it should be explicitly invoked by Sketcher. I will look into it asap.
I think the sketcher needs to import ConstraintSolver.

I checked PartDesign and it imports the sketcher in AppPartDesign.cpp. So I imported ConstraintSolver in AppSketcher.cpp.

Now it works. I have pushed it to your branch.

Still, take a look to my modifications to change the type from py type to base type.

With this, the type in tie is gone. I think it is good news.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

awesome, thanks!!