PartDesign Next in wiki

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

PartDesign Next in wiki

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi! Since PartDesign Next was merged... wiki needs lots of updates!

1. people may come to wiki on the web, study it, install 'latest' FreeCAD v0.16, and wonder WTF is going on. So, is it possible to split wikis somehow?

2. Useful page that needs to be expanded and exposed is in my user page: User:DeepSOIC. It briefly covers some of the attachment modes for datum planes. I have no time/effort to do it right now, so I welcome someone doing it.
triplus
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Next in wiki

Post by triplus »

This will probably turn out to be multi-year effort. To get the documentation up to speed. As for current documentation it is appropriate for current FreeCAD production release.

Therefore as for FreeCAD 0.17+ releases. Documentation should probably be made as separate (new) effort.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

We can create one or more sandbox pages dedicated to the development of Part Design Next.
DeepSOIC wrote:Useful page that needs to be expanded and exposed is in my user page: User:DeepSOIC.
thank you, but the user page seems more suitable for personal use.
Renato
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

see Sandbox:Part_Design_Next, thanks.
Renato
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looking good.

Now as for the hard part. That is i guess to start adding quality content to the Wiki we will need to learn PartDesign NEXT first ourself. ;)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

DeepSOIC wrote:Hi! Since PartDesign Next was merged... wiki needs lots of updates!

1. people may come to wiki on the web, study it, install 'latest' FreeCAD v0.16, and wonder WTF is going on. So, is it possible to split wikis somehow?

2. Useful page that needs to be expanded and exposed is in my user page: User:DeepSOIC. It briefly covers some of the attachment modes for datum planes. I have no time/effort to do it right now, so I welcome someone doing it.

Hi Deepsoic, good points.
For a guide with the wiki contents, "when in doubt, always follow master, but add a note saying from which version of FreeCAD the contents applies" :)

We decided this a long time ago as all options have their advantages but we don't have enough Editors' time to even keep one wiki up to date, and honestly it's not important for long as we have historically produced new code and release versions that fix the problem, ....also it's helpful to advertise improvements in master and encourage more testing and general interest.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=80
jmaustpc wrote:
I agree that we need to start moving this into the wiki properly. Where there is a clash with 0.16, I think we should put up some big red warning saying something like "this has changed significantly in FreeCAD 0.17 and beyond, see below" and then write up something below all the existing 0.16 stuff. But some of it, like tip and body will presumably be easier as they will get their own new page.

If you guys start on this, I'll try to help out.
In my opinion, PDN is something completely different from PD0.16, it's not just about modifying the tools, but the whole structure changes. We can try, but it is very difficult to co-exist the two versions on the same page.
An idea.
Create the PartDesign0.17_Workbench page
Create the PartDesign pages (0.17), for example: PartDesign_Thickness
For linking with PD0.16 we can add a link to "See also"

I do not know how to distinguish pages that would have the same name.
The page name must be the same as the name of the command. But the commands have the same name, both in 0.16 as in 0.17.

Renato
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I created a namespace in the wiki for 0.17, so new copies of these pages can be set up or transferred from the sandbox.

For example structure, see:
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/0.17
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/0.17:PartDesign
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/0.17:PartDesign/Revolution
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

renatorivo wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:48 pm We can try, but it is very difficult to co-exist the two versions on the same page.
An idea.
Yes I agree. :)
renatorivo wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:48 pm An idea.
Create the PartDesign0.17_Workbench page
Create the PartDesign pages (0.17), for example: PartDesign_Thickness
For linking with PD0.16 we can add a link to "See also"
It's important to remember that overtime only 0.17 and beyond, is important. So I don't like the idea of creating a new page for what will soon enough be the correct page. If we need to have a different page then I would move the current data to a "legacy" page, make the default current page 0.17, but with a prominent note at the top directing the 0.16 users to the legacy page.

The thing is that there could be links anywhere pointing to our wiki pages, so the default should be to current master, but of course in the more extreme case like this, having a prominent link to the release version would help for the short term future.

I don't think the PD changes make it fundamentally different work flow, they add the need for body and introduce Part as well as many other things and details, but it is still recognisable work flow for at least simple examples.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:53 am I created a namespace in the wiki for 0.17, so new copies of these pages can be set up or transferred from the sandbox.

For example structure, see:
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/0.17
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/0.17:PartDesign
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/0.17:PartDesign/Revolution
As I said above, I think that's a mistake, if we have to make new pages then the new pages should be for the legacy page ...not the new page that should be the default.

We were typing our posts at the same time. :)