Point workbench alive?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

Point workbench alive?

Post by david69 »

vocx
Veteran

Re: Point workbench alive?

Post by vocx »

david69 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:36 am going on translations, there is a Point workbench (?). i think it was an attempt, correct me if i am wrong.
There is a Points Workbench that is intended to handle clouds of points, but it seems that nobody has implemented all the functions that were supposed to go there. Same as with the Reverse Engineering Workbench, I think the developers had ideas that would help with laser scanning models and manufacturing, but they didn't follow through.

Maybe at some point in the distant future this can be finally developed by somebody.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

It also depends on your compile time options, FreeCAD can be compiled with PCL (Points Cloud Library) support, I have no idea how well that currently works, PCL had to be compiled from source the last time I looked, it was not in Ubuntu repositories. Many years ago Werner had a development branch where he got it to work, I thought it was long since in master, PCL support is certainly a current compile time option in master.

The current points wb in FreeCAD-Daily is there and has just a few points cloud tools. I don't know now if you get more tools or not if you compile FreeCAD with PCL support.

Jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

Version: 0.18.3.
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

and
Version: 0.19.
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

on both installations, i well see Points module.
my bad, i didn't well checked. so yes, these module is alive and deserve translation.
thank you.