Misleading image (Path workbench)

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
zio.pietro

Misleading image (Path workbench)

Post by zio.pietro »

Hi all,
I found img https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/File:Pa ... eights.gif IMHO misleading (even wrong).
Used on page Path Workbench as reference, and on page https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Pocket_Shape with description (and maybe on another ones). The descr. does not match the image which is very frustrating especially for newbies (as me in the field of CNC milling, using FreeCAD for years, but for another purposes)
So from small to severe:
1) Save height (right part of img) - Safe height, only typo, but should be corrected
2) Description: Final Depth: Final Depth of Tool- lowest value in Z. Where is this parameter explained on img? Nowhere - Image indicates this entry as End depth. Wrong.
3) According to description (and common sense, too) above Safe height rapid motions are allowed. But on the left part of img rapid speed is indicated above Start Depth, not above Safe height. Wrong.
4) this item isn't about wrong img, but about mistakenly chosen name for parameter: Start depth is level for starting cut operation (distance from level zero), Final depth is also the level (distance from zero), but Finish depth isn't the level, but amount of material removed at final move (like Step down is amount of material removed at each step, except final one). So IMHO this parameter should be renamed to Finish step (or Finish step down). Pls, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I didn't understand smth (as I wrote above, I'm CNC milling newbie ;) )

If my comments are right, I will correct the image myself and ask for editorial rights on the wiki to post it, just want to know your opinion.
Missing documentation is evil, but one thing is worse than missing documentation - wrong one, so I want to add my 5 cents and make it better.

Regards
zio Pietro (uncle Peter in English)
Attachments
Path-DepthsAndHeights_errors.gif
Path-DepthsAndHeights_errors.gif (23.16 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Perfection is not a detail, but it's made of a thousand details
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Misleading image (Path workbench)

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for offering your help. You are right in many points - if not all.
zio.pietro wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 pm 1) Save height (right part of img) - Safe height, only typo, but should be corrected
ok
3) According to description (and common sense, too) above Safe height rapid motions are allowed. But on the left part of img rapid speed is indicated above Start Depth, not above Safe height. Wrong.
I think you are right again. Are we sure that alltools respect this?
2) Description: Final Depth: Final Depth of Tool- lowest value in Z. Where is this parameter explained on img? Nowhere - Image indicates this entry as End depth. Wrong.
4) this item isn't about wrong img, but about mistakenly chosen name for parameter: Start depth is level for starting cut operation (distance from level zero), Final depth is also the level (distance from zero), but Finish depth isn't the level, but amount of material removed at final move (like Step down is amount of material removed at each step, except final one). So IMHO this parameter should be renamed to Finish step (or Finish step down). Pls, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I didn't understand smth (as I wrote above, I'm CNC milling newbie ;) )
This has been discussed before and you are right. It would be sensible to put put the old notion in brackets or something because it is still used in the operations. As this requires changes in the code I would like to hear sliptonic and mlampert about this.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
zio.pietro

Post by zio.pietro »

Thanks for offering your help
You're welcome. It's way I can "pay" for your work ;) (or better: I feel it's our SW, I got it for free, I'm morally obliged to contribute, IMHO)
Are we sure that all tools respect this?
I'm quite sure, it's common parameter for all tools, AFAIK. (but I can also be wrong, I have to check)

Ok, I'll prepare new image with my points 1), 2), and 3) and then ask for editing rights on wiki

Point 4) I assumed this change would require editing the program before editing the image. Will wait for the next discussion.

Regards
zio Pietro
zio.pietro

Post by zio.pietro »

OK, done

I think PNG is better format, if wiki supports it (it should do so - it's Portable Network Graphics) And it's even smaller ;) 23.2 vs. 17.7 kB (down by 24%)
For sake of editing I prefer vector graphics, but GIMP done its work well (as always did)

Regards from Italy
zio Pietro
Attachments
Path-DepthsAndHeights_corrected(1-3).png
Path-DepthsAndHeights_corrected(1-3).png (17.73 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Shouldn't "workpeace" actually be "workpiece"???
zio.pietro

Post by zio.pietro »

I think so, too. another typo I didn't note (not mine, was on original img, but I could have noticed it. If I do repairs, I should do them properly. Mea culpa ...)

Corrected right now.
Attachments
Path-DepthsAndHeights_corrected(1-3).png
Path-DepthsAndHeights_corrected(1-3).png (17.69 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Haha, I like the workpeace as much as I like a piece of mind.

Thanks for correcting, we need the support from native speakers.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:51 pm Thanks for correcting, we need the support from native speakers.
Funny than none of us is. :lol:
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Hi zio Pietro. Maybe I say nonsense. With reference to your last figure, the two curly brackets start and end on "Safe Height". This suggests that at that level one can operate both in rapid and in standard. Is it really so? Wouldn't it be better to move the bracket slightly upwards? Or cross them slightly to make it clear that "Safe Height" is included in both speeds.
zio.pietro

Post by zio.pietro »

@renatorivo: It isn't my figure, I only corrected some errors.

Moving over material betwen passes during steps of operation is done just on Safe level for avoid the possible higher parts of the workpiece that have been processed in previous operations. Purpose of Clearance height is for secure moving tool out of workspace (eg. to park position o towards automatic tool changer, if you are so lucky to have one) and it's higher for not trip to high pieces there, typically clamps. These movement is done on max. machine speed for sake of time. X and Y moves between Safe height and Clearance height should be avoided, only rapid move Z up/down. On and above Cl.Height you can move tool at your will. Alwais IMHO, maybe any CNC guru can correct me.

Maybe these brackets are misleading and should be replaced by two indicator, arrow. On this level (Safe) we do slow, working movement (programmed with G1,G2,... and F words) and on that level (Clearance) we move on machine max. speed (programmed with G0 words). Shift between these two levels only in Z direction. Howgh.

Regards from Aversa(CE)
zio Pietro

Piove da voi come qui? Mi sto spostando solo con la bici non avendo la macchina e da tre gg non posso uscire da casa :( (small chat between two Italians, forgive me)