Rename: Compiling pages

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Rename: Compiling pages

Post by vocx »

The Compiling page has links to compile on different systems. These pages' names don't have a space. I think they should have; otherwise they look weird when using the link directly, like above.

Suggestions for new names This would follow the same style as the "Install" pages In my opinion, Install_on_Unix should be renamed to Install_on_Linux.

I think we should use "Linux" instead of "Unix". Unix is a bigger umbrella, that also covers BSD and MacOS itself. So, I think we should be more specific that the information is for Linux, not a generic Unix system. In most cases BSD users can just use the Linux instructions as well.

Also, although I don't have a strong opinion on this, I prefer that the links about Apple systems mention "MacOS", not just "Mac". In my mind "Mac" refers to the entire hardware, but "MacOS" is only the operating system, so it's more correct. So Compile_on_MacOS and Install_on_MacOS should be the right pages.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Rename: Compiling pages

Post by renatorivo »

There are names written in all ways. Uppercase, lowercase, attached, detached, .... Is it possible to establish a general rule and respect it? Once this is done, we can gradually rename everything that does not match. Some time ago I started writing Wiki pages.

Even for FreeCAD commands there are inconsistencies.

I agree with Vocx, but I let those who are native English speakers decide.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

vocx wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:30 pm
In my opinion, Install_on_Unix should be renamed to Install_on_Linux.
+1 to this in particular, I recently got a MacOS VM set up, so when I went looking for instructions I saw Unix and clicked that first.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

renatorivo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 pm There are names written in all ways. Uppercase, lowercase, attached, detached, .... Is it possible to establish a general rule and respect it? Once this is done, we can gradually rename everything that does not match. Some time ago I started writing Wiki pages....
I already exposed my points on this thread, [Lowercase links] Use a lower case title for a wiki page.

Basically, we should use "sentence style" not "title style".
vocx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 pm That's the thing. A wiki is not a linear book that you read chapter by chapter, page by page. It's supposed to be a web of content that you can access from different points. Just look at the average English Wikipedia page, most links are not capitalized, only the initial word if starting a sentence, or a proper name or acronym that is typically in capital letters.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method Most links are in lower case, only those that include proper names, like [[cellular_Potts_model]] and [[Markov_chain_Monte_Carlo]], have capitals in them.

The Wikipedia manual of style (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... d_captions) mentions this as well:
Use sentence case, not title case, capitalization in all section headings. Capitalize the first letter of the first word, but leave the rest lower case except for proper names and other items that would ordinarily be capitalized in running text.

Use: Economic and demographic shifts after World War II
Avoid: Economic and Demographic Shifts After World War II

The same applies to the titles of articles, table headers and captions, the headers of infoboxes and navigation templates, and image captions and alt text. (For list items, see next section.)

Linking is easier if titles are in sentence case. It is easier for articles to be merged or split if headings resemble titles.
I myself edited WikiPages to get my own input, but this could be expanded even more.

As for the names of the commands. In general, I think they should use this same style, but this is a change that must be done in the source code, so the wiki page follows from that.

[TechDraw] updating Wiki pages
vocx wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:06 pm ...
In my opinion, they should follow this convention, [Workbench]_[Tool], where [Tool] is a substantive that can be used as part of a sentence. This is done in the Draft Workbench, for example: Draft_Line, Draft_Polygon, Draft_Rectangle, Draft_Array, etc. Then in a regular sentence you can say, "please create a Draft Rectangle", and it is evident which workbench and object is meant.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Done, but there is a problem with CompileOnUnix. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40885