When to use the StdMenu template?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

When to use the StdMenu template?

Post by Roy_043 »

Is the StdMenu template documented somewhere? It is not used consistently. When would you use it?

Example:
{{MenuCommand|{{StdMenu|[[Std Edit Menu|Edit]]}} → Preferences}}
Page:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Preferences_Editor
vocx
Veteran

Re: When to use the StdMenu template?

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 pm Is the StdMenu template documented somewhere? It is not used consistently. When would you use it?
The {{StdMenu}} template was created a long time ago (2014), by renato. https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Template:StdMenu

However, I think that it was essentially abandoned immediately. It was created, used in a few pages, and that's it, nobody else used it again.

Lately, it's being used again, by Kunda, I think, since there's been several simple fixes to various pages.

This template creates a gray rectangle with bolded text inside; I think the idea was that it simulates how the menu looks in the interface in a typical Windows interface. See Standard_Menu. This page was essentially the only one that used this template before the current additions.

Personally, I don't think it makes much sense; it just adds more visual noise to the documentation. The wiki code also looks messy when several layers of brackets are used like that.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

vocx wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:20 am .....
Personally, I don't think it makes much sense; it just adds more visual noise to the documentation.
+1
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

StdMenu
I changed the background. It seems more readable to me.
I think we can keep it for Std menu groups, but don't use it for individual menus or commands.

David69 made this change on the English page. I await confirmation before marking the pages. Otherwise I cancel and let David use this on the French page (as I do in Italian).
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

renatorivo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:52 pm StdMenu
I changed the background. It seems more readable to me.
I think we can keep it for Std menu groups, but don't use it for individual menus or commands.

David69 made this change on the English page. I await confirmation before marking the pages. Otherwise I cancel and let David use this on the French page (as I do in Italian).
I am fine with those changes.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

well, as i have been translating many wiki pages, when i came to that ones, the format was different and was not consistent with a lot of what i had seen. to complete that observation, i've seen back and forth of format. IMO the simpler the better and '''command''' is far enough.

it's a little bit the same thing with the description of the menu location on the right side of the page. there was a wave of this grey box and now, it's removing. again, i think it's fine without the grey box.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Well. Everyone agrees. :)