reason to put many <!--T:xx--> for Path_FromShapes

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

reason to put many <!--T:xx--> for Path_FromShapes

Post by david69 »

in Path_FromShapes, we have for many lines <!--T:xx-->

is there any reason for that?
ex:

Code: Select all

<!--T:34-->
* retract_axis(2): 0=X,1=Y,2=Z. Tool retraction axis

<!--T:35-->
* retraction(0.0): Tool retraction absolute coordinate along retraction axis

<!--T:36-->
* resume_height(0.0): When return from last retraction, this gives the pause height relative to the Z
value of the next move.

<!--T:37-->
* segmentation(0.0): Break long curves into segments of this length. One use case is for PCB autolevel,
so that more correction points can be inserted
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: reason to put many <!--T:xx--> for Path_FromShapes

Post by renatorivo »

I think no particular reason, however when adding something, if possible, it is better to create a new paragraph instead of modifying the existing one. This way does not break the existing translation. It could be this case.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I understand the idea behind not sure in this case it is helpfull.

that's the same thing with Path_Workbench for Path Commands
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

david69 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:15 pm I understand the idea behind not sure in this case it is helpfull.

that's the same thing with Path_Workbench for Path Commands
NormandC, a translator who hasn't been active in the forum and wiki for a year, liked to separate each bullet point in its own paragraph, so that the translation extension would create a translation paragraph for each bullet point. According to him, this is good because the translator can translate each individual bullet point, and we can track progress better.

<!--T:1-->
* One

<!--T:2-->
* Two

<!--T:3-->
* Three
However, I disagree with that. I think bulleted lists should be translated as a complete unit and not broken up.

<!--T:1-->
* One
* Two
* Three
So to answer your question, the reason things are like this now is for historical reasons.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Generally it would be good to keep lists grouped, but long and complex lists are not easy to translate at all. This at least for me (maybe others are better than me). Nothing changes on the English page, this difference only affects the translators and the translated pages.

If a new entry is placed in a grouped list, all translation is highlighted as invalid.

If the new entry is placed in a split list, all translations remain valid, and the new entry appears untranslated.

This seems to me a great advantage for the translator and the reader of the translated page, and often a new entry is added to a list.
I repeat, the reader does not know how the list is structured, he simply sees what appears.

(Path FromShapes has never been touched by NormandC)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The empty lines above the translation tags are problematic however. They trigger the start of a new ul element.