Why is Std DependencyGraph renamed?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Why is Std DependencyGraph renamed?

Post by chrisb »

I just saw that the well known page Std DependencyGraph has been renamed to Std ExportGraphviz.
I think it is a bad idea in terms of user expierience, because of two reasons:

- In the menu bar it is called "Dependency Graph".
- It has nothing to do with any export.
- And the third of the two reasons is, that it has always been called "Dependency Graph".

The "Std" was already fancy enough, but keeping this and adding another word, which has nothing to do with what the user sees, seems a bit strange. From my point of view the wiki should not reflect some internal structures, but rather make sense in itself. If both can be achieved - even better. If not and some internals should be reflected, it should go to a separate part of the documentation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Why is Std DependencyGraph renamed?

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:19 pm ...
- And the third of the two reasons is, that it has always been called "Dependency Graph".

From my point of view the wiki should not reflect some internal structures, but rather make sense in itself...
The command is internally called Std_ExportGraphviz in src/Gui/CommandDoc.ccp.

It's been called this way since git commit 9170bfe045, 8 years ago, when Werner added it.

Since the documentation system, Std_WhatsThis, is tied to the wiki, the name of the wiki page must match.

Nevertheless, I concur that many command names should probably be named better. The solution here would be to rename the command in the source to something like Std_DependencyGraph. Please ask Werner to do it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hmm, I don't like changing the code for such things either. Nevertheless Werner may comment:
WMayer wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

vocx wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:19 pm The solution here would be to rename the command in the source to something like Std_DependencyGraph. Please ask Werner to do it.
Yes, calling the command like this is more suitable. I guess it's easy to rename this Wiki page again to how it was before?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wmayer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 am Yes, calling the command like this is more suitable. I guess it's easy to rename this Wiki page again to how it was before?
Yes.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:32 am git commit 17c79f19e
Thank you very much!

We have a similar situation with PartDesign->Plane, PartDesign->Line, and PartDesign->Point, which should be called PartDesign->DatumPlane, PartDesign->DatumLine, and PartDesign->DatumPoint.

Ickby wasn't very active recently, but I ping him too:
ickby wrote:ping
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The wiki pages are called PartDesign_Point, PartDesign_Line an PartDesign_Plane which is consistent with the source code.
So, have these wiki pages been renamed recently, too?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I found the topic here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46286

Here the class names, command names and wiki pages are consistent. So, it's not quite clear to me what you want to change.

The only inconsistency is that the file names and the class name of the view providers include the term "Datum" but I don't consider this a problem. In case you want to add "Datum" to everything then this is not a good idea. The C++ features Point, Line or Plane cannot be renamed to DatumPoint, DatumLine or DatumPlane because this will break all existing project files.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't know if they were renamed, probably not. It was only seen from a user's view. In Part Design we see and discuss only DatumPlane, ... If it is not possible - but would be neccesary - to rename things in C++, then we can add a redirection.