About updating wiki pages and assistance for translators

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Baritone

About updating wiki pages and assistance for translators

Post by Baritone »

Sorry for my English. I'm updating the translation on the wiki now. And on some pages, I see that somebody, when he split piece of translation on title and body text, he leaves the title in an old piece of translation, and brings the main text into a new one.
It is bad for translators. This destroys the editing history of the translation pieces and forces the translator to look for corrections in the English original on their own or to write the translation again. This forces the translator to reconsider the current state of translation of the FreeCAD interface. In case if the tips of cahanges remained, the translator could just fix the small changed pieces.
Is it possible to establish such a rule for correcting the English original: when breaking the pieces of translation, the largest portion of the text remains in the old place? So, if the title and text are splitted in pieces, the title ought to be moved in the new piece of translation, and the main text remains in the old one?
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: About updating wiki pages and assistance for translators

Post by renatorivo »

Baritone wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 am So, if the title and text are splitted in pieces, the title ought to be moved in the new piece of translation, and the main text remains in the old one?
This is the general rule that I try to apply. This also applies when paragraphs are only added. It serves to keep as much translation as possible. Sorry if sometimes this escapes.

Renato