Scripting examples

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Scripting examples

Post by renatorivo »

In my opinion Power users hub contains some contradictions. First we talk about Python code, then there are parts that interest everyone, even those who don't know anything about code.

It seems to me that in a previous discussion it was established that the Power user is someone who actively uses code.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

renatorivo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:52 pm ...
It seems to me that in a previous discussion it was established that the Power user is someone who actively uses code.
Well, this is indeed a discussion that we need to have.

I think people who wrote these pages at the beginning equated "power user" with "programmer". In my opinion, that is not exactly correct, however, I do think that this is probably the place to describe most scripting that the advanced user would do.

A higher level would be "developer", who would be a power user, but who would go a bit beyond into more administrative tasks, and not just usage of the program. It's up to discussion.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Some old content that helps to understand how the categories were divided (circa 2010):
At the moment, much functionality is already present, but not much user interface has been created for it. This means that if you know a bit of python, you will already be able to produce and modify geometry relatively easily.
One of the nicest features of FreeCAD is that you can script and extend it extremely far without the need to compile anything or touch the source code. All the scripting part is done in python, a very powerful but simple programming language. With simple python scripts, you have total access to about any part of Freecad.
also the logo is a command line, but this does not mean "reserved for programmers".

Perhaps now the situation is different and the categories need to be redefined? Or create new intermediate categories?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

renatorivo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:52 pm Power user is someone who actively uses code.
instead of 'uses' I would say 'writes'.

Related 1:
If you add the TutorialInfo template the page automatically is categorized as 'User documentation'. If the tutorial deals with Pyhton I feel that this category is wrong. Which is why I have removed this template from pages such as Topological_data_scripting.

Related 2:
When I add the Python category I also add the PowerUser and the Developer categories. I am not sure if this is correct.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

For me it's fine, even if Python category including PowerUser category could be enough, but better abound. Since there are no comments to the contrary, I think it's fine for everyone.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:50 pm ...
When I add the Python category I also add the PowerUser and the Developer categories. I am not sure if this is correct.
I don't think this is correct. This needs to be done on a case by case basis. There could be Python content that is intended to be run by regular users without needing them to be power users, for example, macros.

About the TutorialInfo, the page that uses this template must be written in such a style that it is intended for users, without advanced knowledge of programming. The problem is that in my opinion many pages aren't written very well, and are arbitrarily defined as "tutorials", like this topological data scripting; these pages don't know which is their target audience, and it's difficult to categorize them. So to me, the most important thing that needs to be done is to clean up and rewrite the content of each page, but this will take time.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

vocx wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:14 pm for example, macros.
There is a wiki category for macros.