How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mark463

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by mark463 »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:37 am
mark463 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:33 am Please approve this post so that I can send a PM and start contributing to documentation.

Thanks!
Hi, what specifically are you wanting to contribute to the documentation?
As I'm going through some of the beginner tutorials, I would like to propose (minor) corrections and improvements. For example The basic parts design tutorial says "fish editing" rather than "finish editing". Also there was a point in the tutorial where the element selection was not clear, although I can't recall where that was now :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Mark, I'm waiting for your PM! :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi Mark, and Jim who brought this up. I would like to see always something like the short description of Mark, explaining what people want to edit if they apply for editong permissions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
John Adriaan

Post by John Adriaan »

This is my first post, to fulfil the requirement that I have to post before I can PM for permission to edit the Wiki.

In particular: I found a typo in the "Manual: All workbenches at a glance" page. The table of Part tools shows "JonConnect". While flattered that it has (nearly) my name, it should be "JoinConnect". Oh, and the one below that, "Join Cutout", has a space, unlike "Jo[i]nConnect" and "JoinEmbed". For that matter, other tool names have either a space, or no space, or an underscore!

If I had edit privileges, I would fix the typo, and insert spaces or replace underscores with spaces throughout, since that seems to be the most common usage.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

John Adriaan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:23 am If I had edit privileges, I would fix the typo, and insert spaces or replace underscores with spaces throughout, since that seems to be the most common usage.
Please post the pages you see this issue in. The underscores may be required...BTW.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
John Adriaan

Post by John Adriaan »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:06 pm Please post the pages you see this issue in. The underscores may be required...BTW.
It's the exact page I gave the title for: Manual:All workbenches at a glance. The first table has a number of icons, their descriptions, and the links to get more information. It's the descriptions that I'm talking about - where underscores are unnecessary, and other descriptions don't bother with them. For example:
* "JonConnect" links to ...Part_JoinConnect
* "Join Embed" links to ...Part_JoinEmbed
* "Join Cutout" links to ...Part_JoinCutout
* "SectionCross" links to ...Part_SectionCross
* "Ruled Surface" links to ...Part_RuledSurface
* "Part_Loft" links to ...Part_Loft

It was the "JonConnect" that I really wanted to fix - but now the other inconsistencies in naming are bugging me too...
Last edited by John Adriaan on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

John Adriaan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:47 am It's the exact page I gave the title for: [wiki]Manual:All_workbenches_at_a_glance[/wiki]. The
If you had just copy pasted the url from your browser in the first place, we could just one click on it and know exactly what you are talking about.

those wiki tags only work if you format them properly, hold the mouse over them when creating a post and the tool tip pops up with some information.
John Adriaan

Post by John Adriaan »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 am
John Adriaan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:47 am It's the exact page I gave the title for: [wiki]Manual:All_workbenches_at_a_glance[/wiki]. The
those wiki tags only work if you format them properly, hold the mouse over them when creating a post and the tool tip pops up with some information.
Those wiki tags don't work at all if there's a colon in the Page_Title. I tried the [ wiki ] (as above) and [ wikisection ] tags, and they just don't parse into URLs by this Wiki software. So I resorted to describing the page title rather than attempting to post a link. But waddaya know? The [ url ] tag doesn't mind the colon! Fixed.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

this is the page in question, typos are fix

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual: ... t_a_glance

thanks for pointing them out.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

John Adriaan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:47 am
jmaustpc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 am
Those wiki tags don't work at all if there's a colon in the Page_Title. I tried the [ wiki ] (as above) and [ wikisection ] tags, and they just don't parse into URLs by this Wiki software. So I resorted to describing the page title rather than attempting to post a link. But waddaya know? The [ url ] tag doesn't mind the colon! Fixed.
Yes, indeed, also another tip, if you just copy paste the url like I did in my last post, it also works, it doesn't allow the advanced features like custom text, but often its adequate.