Part-o-magic: Active Part/Body reinvented

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Part-o-magic: Active Part/Body reinvented

Post by DeepSOIC »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 am What about top-down design with a skeleton model?
I call it "master sketch" approach. Yes, part-o-magic supports it (but so does PartDesign), you only need to import the master sketch into every Body/Module using Shapebinder. But technically, it doesn't have to be a sketch, it can be a whole another Body, or just about anything that has shape.

Please note that part-o-magic is broken on current version of FC, at least since rev. 11827 (probably quite a few commits up, I haven't finished investigation on what exactly has happened).
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:39 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 am What about top-down design with a skeleton model?
I call it "master sketch" approach. Yes, part-o-magic supports it (but so does PartDesign), you only need to import the master sketch into every Body/Module using Shapebinder. But technically, it doesn't have to be a sketch, it can be a whole another Body, or just about anything that has shape.

Please note that part-o-magic is broken on current version of FC, at least since rev. 11827 (probably quite a few commits up, I haven't finished investigation on what exactly has happened).
Thank you DeepSOIC for your answer. Please can you explain me a bit more how to deal with the master sketch. Is it a single part with different features, and if I create my device model, I need really to import that file into each active body?
eppo

Post by eppo »

Happy New Year all and thank you DeepSOIC for sharing the code.

Warning: i am totally new to FreeCAD, not a professional programmer either. There's that and if i'm wrong please ignore the rest.

In short, while exploring things managed to install Part-o-magic via Addon Manager. Note says "For FC v.0.17-18"
My FreeCAD version is:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

After a restart of FC i found following error message:

Code: Select all

Part-o-magic requires FreeCAD at least v0.17.9933. Yours appears to have a rev.4, which is less
Assuming FC versions and revisions are separately increasing numbers, well, i had changed my
c:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Part-o-magic\PartOMagic\Base\Compatibility.py to following code
https://pastebin.com/4wqnmvUf

Addon here loads successfully since. I haven't explored features yet, there's no restriction to load addon on FC v.0.19.

Hope, helps.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

eppo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:18 am ...
pushed a fix: https://github.com/DeepSOIC/Part-o-magi ... 28d3d06464
Thanks for reporting.