Texturing Architectural Objects

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
furti

Re: Texturing Architectural Objects

Post by furti »

paullee wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:49 pmDone
Thanks for that. Fixed the Problem. :)

Now the lines are shown in FlatLines mode:
FlatLines.png
FlatLines.png (101.64 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
And not in shaded mode:
Shaded.png
Shaded.png (142.9 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
Problem was, that I added the texture directly to the root node of the object. So it affected all draw styles. Now the texture is added to the shaded node. So it only affects the faces of the object.
furti

Post by furti »

@paullee

Sorry forgot to respond to your questions in an earlier post:

2. Possible to add shadow - somehow off topic? - I remember Yorik had experimented that
Don't know if this would possible. But I will have a look at how this could be done.

3. Possible to incorporate into WPProxy?
What is WPProxy

4. A central on-line database of textures?
I use donwload my textures from https://www.textures.com/. I think their license (https://www.textures.com/terms-of-use.html) is pretty usable for hobbyists as well as for professionals.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

furti wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:19 pm ...
3. Possible to incorporate into WPProxy?
What is WPProxy
I'm not sure what he means, but maybe he is talking about Draft_SetWorkingPlaneProxy? The Working Plane Proxy is a Draft utility that creates planes at arbitrary positions, which can later be used with Draft_SelectPlane to position the drawing grid, so you can precisely position Sketches or Parts.

Maybe he wants to show these Working Plane Proxies with different textures to identify them quickly if he has many in his model?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Look even better now!
furti wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:19 pm 2. Possible to add shadow - somehow off topic? - I remember Yorik had experimented that
Don't know if this would possible. But I will have a look at how this could be done.
Look forward to more features!
furti wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:19 pm 3. Possible to incorporate into WPProxy?
What is WPProxy
Draft SetWorkingPlaneProxy
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Draft_S ... PlaneProxy
This command will place a Proxy object in the document, placed and aligned to the current Working Plane. When using the Draft SelectPlane command with such a Proxy object selected, or by double-clicking it in the tree view, the working plane will be positioned and aligned back with the proxy object. The camera position and hidden/shown state of objects are also stored in the Proxy object, and can be restored if the corresponding properties are enabled (see below).
- Thinking if the texture on / off mode could also be stored in the Proxy object at the same time

furti wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:19 pm 4. A central on-line database of textures?
I use donwload my textures from https://www.textures.com/. I think their license (https://www.textures.com/terms-of-use.html) is pretty usable for hobbyists as well as for professionals.
Possible in the Texture dialog to point to an online file instead of a local one e.g. http://www.centraltexturedb.com/brick015.jpg?

Thanks!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

vocx wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:34 pm
Maybe he wants to show these Working Plane Proxies with different textures to identify them quickly if he has many in his model?
Yes sort of - integrate the 'state of objects' features :)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

paullee wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm
vocx wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:34 pm
Yes sort of - integrate the 'state of objects' features :)
I see. I've never tried, but isn't this the job of the Menu > View > Create new view? It seems that it should be able to save the camera of the model, and later you can retrieve it. Maybe a combination of both of this Plane Proxy and Textures is needed.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

It seem it works somehow:-

Current Capability
  1. The Texture Config is an object with Visibility itself
  2. Create a WPProxy
  3. For a specific Camera setting, Visibility of different Objects - e.g. roofs, door, windows are Invisible + Texture is Visible
  4. Right-Click WPProxy to Write Camera + Object Status
  5. Later camera is set to another angle, other objects are set visible / invisible, e.g. Texture is Invisible
  6. Now, if wanted, double-click WPProxy - the saved Camera / Objects Visibility State is restored
  7. As Texture Config is an object with Visibility itself, WPPorxy restore the texture visibilities :)
More 'advanced / refined' Setting Hopefully
  1. The Texture Config have different setting of visibilities
  2. Somehow works with WPProxy
  3. So WPProxy write Object Status (+ different setting of texture visibilities)
Helpful to different use cases?

Current Capability - Step 3
A particular Objects Visibilities + Texture On
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-09-55.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-09-55.png (357.95 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Current Capability - Step 4
Save WPProxy status
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-10-09.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-10-09.png (604.21 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Current Capability - Step 5
Working on other camera + objects & texture visibility
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-25-18.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-25-18.png (199.41 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

Current Capability - Step 6,7
Restore camere + object & texture visibility
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-09-55.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-09-55.png (357.95 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Downloaded the latest Arch Texture and Flat Line mode is working when texture is on :)

Just notice the mapping is 'slightly oblique' projected?
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-41-12.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-41-12.png (338.55 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-41-47.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-26 10-41-47.png (269.85 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
furti

Post by furti »

@paullee wow thanks for testing so much :)
paullee wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:28 am Somehow works with WPProxy
Didn't used tge WPProxy until now. So hard for me to come up with an usecase. If you have ideas you might want to create an issue in the github repo. So we don't forget it until i have time to implement it :)
paullee wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:44 am Just notice the mapping is 'slightly oblique' projected?
This is a result of the current texture mapping algorithm. How the textue gets mapped depends on the first triangle in the face. Working on a way to rotate textures on individual faces. So this can be fixed :)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

furti wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 am
Didn't used tge WPProxy until now. So hard for me to come up with an usecase. If you have ideas you might want to create an issue in the github repo. So we don't forget it until i have time to implement it :)
Done!