[Feature Request] Assign Material property to ‘Make Compound of Several Shapes’

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Assign Material property to ‘Make Compound of Several Shapes’

Post by carlopav »

regis wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:23 pm I testing to add material property, im not too sure what i'm not doing well
Give at least a name to the property (Material for example)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
regis

Re: [Feature Request] Assign Material property to ‘Make Compound of Several Shapes’

Post by regis »

carlopav wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:27 pm Give at least a name to the property (Material for example)
I thought i was doing so, what else am I missing?
Snipaste_2020-05-12_17-46-00.png
Snipaste_2020-05-12_17-46-00.png (228.82 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Note that it is also easy to encapsulate your compound inside an arch component.. then it has material (that works) and everything..
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:59 pm Note that it is also easy to encapsulate your compound inside an arch component.. then it has material (that works) and everything..
Doesn't that begin to make things heavier? if there are objects within another object within another object? i was reading how Caroplev was suggesting to make things happen in the most light weighted possible way.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

regis wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:23 pm Doesn't that begin to make things heavier? if there are objects within another object within another object? i was reading how Caroplev was suggesting to make things happen in the most light weighted possible way.
I think it really depend on what you want to achieve. If it's just adding a property to document the material used in the object, I think the addProperty approach is good. But of course you do not have the material controlling the color of the object (and other useful things that you have wrapping the object around another one)...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The problem is that the materials system is an Arch system. Part cannot depend on Arch stuff, because there is a strict dependency order for FreeCAD modules and Arch already depends on Part. So basically we would first need a FreeCAD-wide materials system (which is being worked on), before being able to implement this for Part compounds. So for the time being, even if it makes things a little heavier (not much because the "host" Arch compound doesn't do any geom operation anyway), I would go the Arch Compound way, at least it solves your issue...
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:21 am The problem is that the materials system is an Arch system. Part cannot depend on Arch stuff, because there is a strict dependency order for FreeCAD modules and Arch already depends on Part. So basically we would first need a FreeCAD-wide materials system (which is being worked on), before being able to implement this for Part compounds. So for the time being, even if it makes things a little heavier (not much because the "host" Arch compound doesn't do any geom operation anyway), I would go the Arch Compound way, at least it solves your issue...
Thanks a bunch for your clarifications
kargetta

Post by kargetta »

yorik wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:21 am The problem is that the materials system is an Arch system. Part cannot depend on Arch stuff, because there is a strict dependency order for FreeCAD modules and Arch already depends on Part. So basically we would first need a FreeCAD-wide materials system (which is being worked on), before being able to implement this for Part compounds. So for the time being, even if it makes things a little heavier (not much because the "host" Arch compound doesn't do any geom operation anyway), I would go the Arch Compound way, at least it solves your issue...
I still am unable to find how to apply a Material to a Part, as the buttons and commands are for some reason not active.

Any explanation?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kargetta wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 pm ...
Any explanation?
It is impossible to help you if you don't provide important information about your system, post pictures, attach a file, etc. It also only works in v0.19. So, provide a more concrete description of your problem and then maybe we'll take a look.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

kargetta wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 pm I still am unable to find how to apply a Material to a Part
- Turn your Part into an Arch Component (Menu Utils->Make Component)
- Apply a material