BIM Workbench?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
An:a-ray

BIM Workbench?

Post by An:a-ray »

I'm an architect but a new user of FreeCad. I'm keen to work on the BIM workbench but cannot get my Addon manager to work.. The only workbench identified in my workbenches is 3DFindIT. (I only uploaded FreeCad yesterday). Is the BIM workbench still an add-on? There was talk about it being merged with the Archi workbench.. I've just found a work-around - Thanks Joko Engineeringhelp! :D
paullee
Veteran

Re: BIM Workbench?

Post by paullee »

An:a-ray wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:31 pm I'm an architect but a new user of FreeCad. I'm keen to work on the BIM workbench but cannot get my Addon manager to work.. The only workbench identified in my workbenches is 3DFindIT. (I only uploaded FreeCad yesterday). Is the BIM workbench still an add-on? There was talk about it being merged with the Archi workbench.. I've just found a work-around - Thanks Joko Engineeringhelp! :D
Welcome, please check IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help .

Post your version of FreeCAD and describe the steps you drop into problem, and help the developer to fix it.

BIM add-on should be working :)

BTW, try version 0.19 pre-release version as it will be released with tons of new release and bug fixed.

Thanks.

Screenshot from 2020-11-23 06-42-22.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-23 06-42-22.png (405.25 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

Hi Paulee - thanks. Re pre-release 0.19 - I have downloaded the zip for 0.19 but as Im not hugely tech-savvy (yet?), dont know how to install it! Help again?

Update: Sadly Jokoengineeringhelp work around did not work for me so still no BIMWorkbench and struggling a bit with uploading FreeCAD-0.19. I have the FreeCAD-0.19_pre zip file, 7.z, extracted but no bin file and cant find exe :(
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Since you haven't followed the posting guidelines in the ^^Big Pink Banner^^ at the top of the page, Your OS is unknown.

I suspect you are using windows if so from the download page:-

• Download the FreeCAD_0.19.*-Win-Conda_vc14.x-x86_64.7z file from the release page
  • Extract the binary from the .7z
  • Run the FreeCAD.exe file to be found in the bin folder.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Bance should have given you the required procedure.

Good luck.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

why BIM workbench is not an official tool inside FreeCAD? this probably is the most relevant
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Depends heavily on what you are modeling. There are very different application fields for FreeCAD. The modular structure enables users to choose the tools they need.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

And BIM module as an Add-on, as @Yorik indicated, has advatage of quick updating from time to time without the need to wait for official FC release.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is a technical side in this and something I would call a management side. On the technical side there are addons which have to be downloaded separately. On the management side we may create something like an "Official Addon Repository". The difference would be, that the development of the core system could/should/must respect the official addons.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.