Gears in FreeCAD: FC Gear

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Gears in FreeCAD: FC Gear

Post by Kunda1 »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm Is there perhaps a tutorial how I could approach the handling of the website. I don't want to break a website again, when I started to translating. @NormandC has helped me at that time.
Wikipages is a styling guide for the FreeCAD wiki.
As for videos, I'm not sure we have any yet.
bavariaSHAPE wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm Basically, I would like to help to bring the cool things of FreeCAD closer to people in an understandable way.
You can study some really well made wikipages
See for example:
Draft_Edit
Draft_Shape2DView

Look at their markup (the wiki formatting used to write the page) and try to apply to the new page. Whatever you don't do optimally or grammatically correct, don't worry. we can go in there and change it, no problem. ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:03 pm
bavariaSHAPE wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm Is there perhaps a tutorial how I could approach the handling of the website. I don't want to break a website again, when I started to translating. @NormandC has helped me at that time.
Wikipages is a styling guide for the FreeCAD wiki.
As for videos, I'm not sure we have any yet.
bavariaSHAPE wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm Basically, I would like to help to bring the cool things of FreeCAD closer to people in an understandable way.
You can study some really well made wikipages
See for example:
Draft_Edit
Draft_Shape2DView

Look at their markup (the wiki formatting used to write the page) and try to apply to the new page. Whatever you don't do optimally or grammatically correct, don't worry. we can go in there and change it, no problem. ;)
I have looked through the websites mentioned above. It actually doesn't look complicated. So I would take the task to "breathe life into" the pages.
In addition I will also create the pages in german afterwards. Is that OK for you.
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 pm I have looked through the websites mentioned above. It actually doesn't look complicated. So I would take the task to "breathe life into" the pages.
In addition I will also create the pages in german afterwards. Is that OK for you.
:+1:

I started a page already at FCGear_InvoluteGear
Feel free to jump in
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

I stumbled across that video, and thought it could be useful here (the formulae applied and explanations with them)

phpBB [video]
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Great progress on the documentation! looks really good!
dxp.dev wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:47 pm I stumbled across that video, and thought it could be useful here (the formulae applied and explanations with them)

Thanks for sharing!
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:12 pm
Great progress on the documentation! looks really good!

(…)
Thanks a lot. I'm glad to hear that the result is going in the right direction. When I have finished the documentation, I will publish the topic in Wiki forum. Suggestions for improvement can then be discussed. Only after this process I will transfer everything to the German Wiki.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm Suggestions for improvement can then be discussed.
Don't mean to jump the gun here, but if I may, is there a place on the wiki that explains some of the equations/algorithms one can use in the FCGear workbench? See https://youtu.be/8VNhTrnFMfE?t=272
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 pm
bavariaSHAPE wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm Suggestions for improvement can then be discussed.
Don't mean to jump the gun here, but if I may, is there a place on the wiki that explains some of the equations/algorithms one can use in the FCGear workbench? See https://youtu.be/8VNhTrnFMfE?t=272
This video is not connected to the gear-workbench. It uses the part-design involute gear which is another concept of creating involute gears.

I don't think we should document formulas in the wiki. If the development of the gear workbench continues we might add a sort of calculator. But this should be added only if someone is really interested in this and willing to provide money for this task.

Btw.: Thanks for the good job @bavariaSHAPE.
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

Could it be possible to visually add the pitch diameter of the gears when creating them in a way that when we want to place one gear relative to another, we could just select the two pitch diameters and make a tangent constraint between the two ? That would greatly ease the process.
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 pm
While describing the different types of gears, I also had the idea to enter some formulas for explanation. But since the topic of gear wheel calculation is so complex, I left it at that. It is important to have the appropriate background knowledge. Furthermore this Wiki area is only for the parameters and functions of FCGear. Therefore I only insert formulas if they are directly related to the parameters of FCGear. It would be better to describe the topic with tutorials. Here you can go deeper into the matter.