Extinction rebellion emblem

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Erich Schulz

Extinction rebellion emblem

Post by Erich Schulz »

This maybe controversial but I made a fully parametric XR symbol.

You can scale the symbol and adjust the line thickness, angle and overlap with the spreadsheet.

It was actually a far more complex shape than I had initially imagined!
Screenshot from 2019-11-09 12-19-50.png
Screenshot from 2019-11-09 12-19-50.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Screenshot from 2019-11-09 12-18-33.png
Screenshot from 2019-11-09 12-18-33.png (8.99 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
I am going to use this to carve out a few printing blocks initially
Attachments
xr1.FCStd
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 1057 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Extinction rebellion emblem

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for sharing.
We usually recommend to minimize the number of constraints. And I have never seen a model where a dimension of 0 was really needed. In your model you can replace it either with a horizontal or a point-on-object constraint.

You may consider to introduce further construction geometry to omit two of the three equal 6mm constraints. I am not quite sure, but I think one of them can also be replaced by a symmetry constraint
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Erich Schulz

Post by Erich Schulz »

Thanks Chris.

I really did wrestle with the contraints a lot!!

I tried using symetry initally but I was having all kinds of trouble finding the redundants. I guess if I had stuck with primarily symetry rather than mixing it up I could have made this simpler.

The size constraints are based on spreadsheet values so it should still be easy for anyone to customise the size and shape just by adjusting a few values.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Erich Schulz wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:15 am I tried using symetry initally but I was having all kinds of trouble finding the redundants.
You should always have an eye on the solver messages, i.e. after each element or constraint added. As soon as you see a redundant constraint you should fix it, the solver assists you quite good.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.