FreeCAD _ LinkStage3: Design using the boolean tools in PartDesign workbench

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD _ LinkStage3: Design using the boolean tools in PartDesign workbench

Post by realthunder »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:31 pm Anyway, I'm posting that this issue was fixed in master but shows up in the 10.22 daily build. How many commits are you 'behind' master, realthunder ?
You can report the issue either in asm3 github issue page or my freecad repo issue page. Anyway, Do you know where is the commit fixing this problem?
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD _ LinkStage3: Design using the boolean tools in PartDesign workbench

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 am The only thing that stopped me from LITERALLY follow the tutorial step by step was the lack of BSpline tangency. Is that a limitation of OCC? I'm just curious. Are there big programming technical problems in implementing it? Just out of curiosity.
Is it sketch BSpline tangency constraint? FC has its own solver for sketch, which does not rely on OCC, I believe. Maybe you can ask around in Sketcher sub forum.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

realthunder wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:53 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:31 pm Anyway, I'm posting that this issue was fixed in master but shows up in the 10.22 daily build. How many commits are you 'behind' master, realthunder ?
You can report the issue either in asm3 github issue page or my freecad repo issue page. Anyway, Do you know where is the commit fixing this problem?
Its an upstream mpmath issue that's been fixed already:
https://github.com/fredrik-johansson/mp ... a8e1e4010d
Here's @sgrogan explaining the issue: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... th#p437753
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

realthunder wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:53 pm You can report the issue either in asm3 github issue page or my freecad repo issue page. Anyway, Do you know where is the commit fixing this problem?
There is no fix in master.

There is a syntax warning from mpmath because it is not ported to Py3.8. The only "bug" in master is that this warning shows up in report view in red instead of orange.

This is only reported on first start of a new version, then the _pycache is written. I guess in the .AppImage the _pycache files aren't written.
@Kunda1 thinks it's fixed because we have inadvertently removed asm3 from the conda based .AppImage, asm3 brings in the mpmath dependency, solvespace I guess.

You can patch it like this https://github.com/fredrik-johansson/mp ... a8e1e4010d
I will patch it like this on the FreeCAD/AppImage repo, but we are cleaning some other stuff first.
"fight the good fight"
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

realthunder wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:57 pm Is it sketch BSpline tangency constraint? FC has its own solver for sketch, which does not rely on OCC, I believe. Maybe you can ask around in Sketcher sub forum.
Yes, basically sketcher bspline tangency because, in this particular model I often had to reference the outside surface geometry of the vase using the shape binder or attach a line to another bspline line when sketching. I'll ask in the Sketcher sub forum.
P.S. I still randomly hit the memory problem from time to time. Do you still need reports or example files? It happens(to be expected) when some modification is done early in the history and allot has to be rebuilt. The problem isn't the waiting, I see peaks of 90% cpu usage which is good but the fact that memory isn't freed anymore not even if I close the file. Only if I close FC completely.

While modeling I find my self always using the U,U and G,G shortcut's/pie's ...they're brilliant and speed up the workflow allot. Can the select hidden geometry(G,G) be tweaked to accept CTRL+select? Now we can select only one face and no way of adding hidden faces to the selection.

Anyway, I consider this modeling exercise closed and learned allot of things. Workflow has changed mid modelling session lol thanks to the new tools introduced by @realthunder. Time to wrap up the tut's.
ppemawm wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:50 pm
I think @ppemawm could have suggestions about in place modelling and the new tools. He is the master of it ;)

phpBB [video]

modelShowcase.jpeg
modelShowcase.jpeg (236.63 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
modelShowcase1.jpeg
modelShowcase1.jpeg (244.24 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
modelShowcase2.jpeg
modelShowcase2.jpeg (272.58 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Those screenshots though... <whistling>
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 am P.S. I still randomly hit the memory problem from time to time. Do you still need reports or example files? It happens(to be expected) when some modification is done early in the history and allot has to be rebuilt. The problem isn't the waiting, I see peaks of 90% cpu usage which is good but the fact that memory isn't freed anymore not even if I close the file. Only if I close FC completely.
I'll start adding patches for the memory problem in subsequent releases soon (not the next one though), which might be a bit disruptive. On the other hand, the memory not free problem may not be a leak, although I cannot confirm at the moment. Even if the application frees the memory, it still depends on the runtime heap manager to decide whether to hold on to the allocated heap pages in case of future use.

While modeling I find my self always using the U,U and G,G shortcut's/pie's ...they're brilliant and speed up the workflow allot. Can the select hidden geometry(G,G) be tweaked to accept CTRL+select? Now we can select only one face and no way of adding hidden faces to the selection.
That's odd. I just checked the code. I actually made a mistake such that selection using G,G is always additive. It will only perform a single selection (i.e. do a clear before add new selection) if CTRL is pressed. I'll revert it back to normal, so that CTRL will be adding more selection.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

OficineRobotica wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 am I think @ppemawm could have suggestions about in place modelling and the new tools. He is the master of it.
Hardly so, but I do appreciate your kind comment. You yourself must be quickly becoming an Asm3 master. I certainly envy your assembly models and find your videos quite intriguing.

I am not at all familiar with Asm3 so I cannot comment. But I do think that FreeCAD must facilitate top-down, in-context assembly design and provide an simple means to articulate moving components for checking clearances and proper operation during design. Both of which, Asm4 nicely accommodates without any unnecessary frills.

Hopefully, Asm3 will also offer those tools plus elegantly solve the topological naming problem. FreeCAD has certainly come a long way from when I was first doing assembly design in V0.13. Hats off to the developers!!
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

OficineRobotica wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 am
A bit unrelated, but can you share your settings to get the display to render like yours? I've not had any luck getting my shadow view to look like yours.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:35 am
OficineRobotica wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 am
A bit unrelated, but can you share your settings to get the display to render like yours? I've not had any luck getting my shadow view to look like yours.
OficineRobotica shared a clip of how to enable the UI you see in his demos
phpBB [video]