[ Bug ] Arch_Floor error when changing height

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

[ Bug ] Arch_Floor error when changing height

Post by Roy_043 »

If I try to change the height property of a floor I get this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.19\Mod\Arch\ArchBuildingPart.py", line 376, in onChanged
if (prop == "Height") and prop.Height.Value:
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'str' object has no attribute 'Height'

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18024 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9cc8f6eb666b0a0ae2dc256f7bc0beb8c987710c
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
vocx
Veteran

Re: [ Bug ] Arch_Floor error when changing height

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 am
File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.19\Mod\Arch\ArchBuildingPart.py", line 376, in onChanged

<class 'AttributeError'>: 'str' object has no attribute 'Height'
This line is 376. If prop is a string, it's obvious that it doesn't have Height attribute.

if (prop == "Height") and prop.Height.Value:
I think this should be changed to

if (prop == "Height") and obj.Height.Value:
Again, this thread should be in the Arch forum where the developers can see it immediately.

---

Edit: I changed the code, and no error was produced. So I submit the change in pull request #2525.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

vocx wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:26 pm Again, this thread should be in the Arch forum where the developers can see it immediately.
Actually that is a bit unclear. Fact is that some issues I have reported in that forum have received no answer. Hence this topic.

Thanks for fixing this.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:44 am Actually that is a bit unclear. Fact is that some issues I have reported in that forum have received no answer. Hence this topic.
Not receiving a response is perfectly normal everywhere online. Sometimes people don't reply.

But as chrisb says, in general the Draft/Arch subforum is okay for both help and development. Sometimes you have to bump the thread. For this particular thread, since we have more or less discussed the problem and provided a solution, I think it can be moved to the Draft/Arch section. The Help forum sometimes works as a triaging area.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

It is problematic that what chrisb has said and your advice here go against the bug submission guidelines.
yorik wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:48 pm 2. Discuss the problem on the forum first. Open a new topic here on the forum, in the help section, and ask if what you found is a bug. Other users will surely be able to help you determining what you should do.
Until the guidelines are changed, the only correct place for bugs is this section of the forum. So please change the guidelines first and don't criticize me for following them.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 am ....
Until the guidelines are changed, the only correct place for bugs is this section of the forum. So please change the guidelines first and don't criticize me for following them.
I'm not criticizing you for this. I'm just saying that in this case, there is no problem. Guidelines are guidelines, they aren't immutable laws. For most issues posting in the Help forum is definitely the right thing to do, but for Draft/Arch matters, it's usually no problem to post in the Arch forum, as the main developer is very active there. He may see the problem and solve it in a matter of seconds if it's something easy.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Looking at remarks from moderators in other topics, I would say the guidelines should not be interpreted loosely, and rightly so. I am sure the guidelines will change over time. But the current version is actually clear on this.

Again: please change the guidelines if you feel that certain bugs should not be posted on the 'help on using FreeCAD' part of the forum.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I will open a new discussion to change the forum rules. Issues are discussed best in the dedicated subforums.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.