Easier / Better Way to Do Fillets?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rebeltaz

Easier / Better Way to Do Fillets?

Post by rebeltaz »

I know to do fillets last and I have been doing that. But changing certain things in a sketch four million steps back quite often breaks the fillets and I have do delete those and redo them. That's not a big deal if your are filleting four lines, but when you have multiple multiple segments to do, that adds up to a real pain. Is there a more efficient way to do fillets in such a way that modifying a sketch won't break them?
vocx
Veteran

Re: Easier / Better Way to Do Fillets?

Post by vocx »

rebeltaz wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:45 pm ...Is there a more efficient way to do fillets in such a way that modifying a sketch won't break them?
You are probably experiencing the topological naming problem.

In general, fillets, chamfers, and operations like that, that only refine your shape, should be added at the end of the PartDesign Body. It's like giving a polish. You don't polish a raw metal before cutting it. First you cut your shape, and at the very end, you polish it to give it the final appearance.

In the case of fillets. It's also recommended to integrate the fillet in the sketch, if applicable. That is, drawing the rounded corner in the sketch itself is better than using PartDesign Fillet.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

vocx wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:08 am
rebeltaz wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:45 pm ...Is there a more efficient way to do fillets in such a way that modifying a sketch won't break them?
You are probably experiencing the topological naming problem.

In general, fillets, chamfers, and operations like that, that only refine your shape, should be added at the end of the PartDesign Body. It's like giving a polish. You don't polish a raw metal before cutting it. First you cut your shape, and at the very end, you polish it to give it the final appearance.

In the case of fillets. It's also recommended to integrate the fillet in the sketch, if applicable. That is, drawing the rounded corner in the sketch itself is better than using PartDesign Fillet.

Yep. That would be the problem. I have done the filleting in the sketches on occasion, but I found that that made designing the finished model more complicated. I may have to try that again on my next go round. Thanks!
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

rebeltaz wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:04 am ...I have done the filleting in the sketches on occasion, ...
On occasion no. It is the recommended way.
but I found that that made designing the finished model more complicated...
Without really knowing what you are modelling it's hard to tell why it would be complicated. it shouldn't be. See feature editing. As long as you use supporting datum objects, like planes and lines, it's usually easy to draw real objects that use those as reference.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

vocx wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:08 am In general, fillets, chamfers, and operations like that, that only refine your shape, should be added at the end of the PartDesign Body.
This was the best way up to version 0.16, and it still is if you sort of follow the manufacturing process. However if you follow the advice for creating stable models, placing fillets and chamfers as soon as possible may minimize the topological naming issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 am This was the best way up to version 0.16, and it still is if you sort of follow the manufacturing process. However if you follow the advice for creating stable models, placing fillets and chamfers as soon as possible may minimize the topological naming issues.
Meh. I really depends on if the fillet is part of the sketch or not. If they are, which is recommended, then they are treated as part of the pad, and hence, more stable.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you look at the quote, you can see that my post was meant to be an addition to your recommendation to place the fillets as late as possible, which is sort of opposite of placing them in the sketch. Of course it is more stable to have them in the sketch, but that's not always possible. And in those cases it helps placing fillets soon.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:10 am If you look at the quote, you can see that my post was meant to be an addition to your recommendation to place the fillets as late as possible, which is sort of opposite of placing them in the sketch. Of course it is more stable to have them in the sketch, but that's not always possible. And in those cases it helps placing fillets soon.
Yes, of course, the point is, if they are part of the sketch, then they aren't "fillets", they are just part of the sketch, which is recommended. Or said in another way, it's best to avoid adding fillets (explicit fillets).
rebeltaz

Post by rebeltaz »

vocx wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 am
rebeltaz wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:04 am ...I have done the filleting in the sketches on occasion, ...
On occasion no. It is the recommended way.
I always appreciate your guy's help and advice, so I really don't want to make anyone mad here, but just because something is the "recommended" way to do something, doesn't mean that that is always the end all be all way to do it. The old saying goes "there is more than one way to skin a cat." I don't know why any one would ever want to skin a cat, but ... there it is.

I am willing to learn new things - that's why I ask questions - but just because something is recommended, doesn't necessarily make it the only way to go about a task.

This is the model I was working on - www.RobotsAndComputers.com/temp/TTS.FCStd - I can't attach it here, it's too large. I did redo the rounded edges on the sketches, but there times when it is impossible (at least to me) to do a fillet in a sketch. The fillets I did here, I don't see any way that those can be done any other way.

I've said this before, but I apologize for my delays in replying. I never get email notifying me of a reply, even though my settings should allow that, so if I don't come here I never see it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

From the Fillet side the model looks rather good, I only would have compiled all 1mm fillets in one operation.

If you are interested in more comments, here they are:

I would recommend to do more in PartDesign workbench
- create the helix in part and use a ShapeBinder in the body
- instead of creating the sweep in Part and cut it, you use a subtractive sweep in PartDesign

- You can even transform the Logo path into a sketch and use that directly in PartDesign for a pocket. Besides, this suggests that the logo may be vastly simplified.