Body, Parts, etc - Understanding the hierarchy

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
q_9

Re: Body, Parts, etc - Understanding the hierarchy

Post by q_9 »

Ok, before I go any further, can you tell me if I am on the right track with this new file? I've prefixed it with HHH to save confusion from earlier files.

What should my next steps be?
Last edited by q_9 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You make extensive use of construction geometry. If this helps you to understand it is ok, but I have rather the feeling that they obscure more than clarify. So it is e.g. not sensible at all to have a construction line and on top with the same start and endpoint a real geometry line.
I removed most of them (and a completely redundant point) which reduced the number of elements from 42 to 33 and the number of constraints from 116 to 91.
I then reintroduced two construction lines to make the identity of the 1mm offsets clear.

File is attached with the prefix HHI, which is the natural successor of HHH.
Attachments
HHI Beomaster 2000 2801 Tuner Board.FCStd
(7.63 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
q_9

Post by q_9 »

Thanks for that. Yes, the construction lines were there due to a couple of issues when I had to make adjustments to the offsets where the tuner indicator slides - it was hard to visualise the changes.

So should my next step be to pad that sketch out, and then try to add the other elements to the solid? or something else?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Yes that would be next. I may add, that the sketch is at the limit of how complex it should get. It could have been sensible to model in a first step the outline only - it's complex enough - and then model the holes to pocket them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
q_9

Post by q_9 »

Ok, got it.

So I've used the Sketch from the Face tools down the bottom left. Will see how I go, then will post back here.

Cheers!
q_9

Post by q_9 »

I might be slow, but it appears I may actually be learning something.

So it appears to be mostly going well. If you look at the support bracket, I've drawn a line and that is where I'd like to cut that bracket. At first I thought fillet or chamfer might be the right tool, but didn't work..what should I use here? <edit I seemed to get a chamfer to work afterall> There's a few more bits and pieces, and the original board has the round stands slightly conical, but I'm not terribly fussed about that at the moment.
Last edited by q_9 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
q_9

Post by q_9 »

Ok, so chamfer DID work! I had to choose variable length. Entered some values until it matched the line I drew. Fantastic!

Ok, so does it look ok now? Am I moving in the right direction? (attached post below)
Last edited by q_9 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
q_9

Post by q_9 »

HHL Beomaster 2000 2801 Tuner Board.FCStd
Ok, final question for the night, why do my chamfers disappear when I pad the support ribs?

Thanks again to all for setting me on a better path.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As said before: You should - if possible - not mix Part and PartDesign. And - as said before - it is forbidden to use features inside of a part operation. You can use the whole body instead.

Short version: Do the chamfer in PartDesign and Chamfer001 is actually no chamfer, it is another PartDesign pocket.

What happened is that you chamfered a certain feature in Part and then you continued in PartDesign adding further features. The chamfered part does not know anything about these features and the additional feature doesn not know anything about the Part chamfers.

If you really must go the mixing path, and continue afterwards with PartDesign do it the right way:
- create the PartDesign body as you did
- add Chamfer to the body, not to the pad
- add Chamfer001 as you did
- Select Chamfer001 and create a new body. This will make Chamfer001 be a BaseFeature in the new body.
q_9

Post by q_9 »

Ah ok, I think I understand. I'll have a go at fixing it, will report back later. Thanks!