Techdraw super slow, unusable...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Techdraw super slow, unusable...

Post by wandererfan »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:38 pm Just for the records:
I'm using now the 0.19 version (appimage). It is 1.2-1.3 times faster, but still unusable when you have a threaded part...
If you turn the threads off on the clamping screw and replace its threaded clone with an unthreaded screw, your file loads in less than 30 seconds and does a full recompute in less than 10.

Why do you need to show the threads in the drawing? Usual practice is to use a simplified presentation.

Threaded screws have geometry errors according to Part.checkGeometry. This is always a problem for anything other than visualization.
Attachments
uniclamp-NoThread.FCStd
(486.42 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:26 amIf you turn the threads off on the clamping screw and replace its threaded clone with an unthreaded screw, your file loads in less than 30 seconds and does a full recompute in less than 10.
I will surprise you: I knew that.

wandererfan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:26 amWhy do you need to show the threads in the drawing? Usual practice is to use a simplified presentation.
When you send your drawings to simple people (like an old craftsman) it is better to point out that some holes are not just that, but threaded slots for screws.
In the real life people working in a workshop have not time to call for a meeting with Tokio when you're drawings are on the table.
The craftsman has to understand the matter in few seconds. If not, he will raise the price for your production lot because it is "too complicated"... 8-)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 am When you send your drawings to simple people (like an old craftsman) it is better to point out that some holes are not just that, but threaded slots for screws.
In the real life people working in a workshop have not time to call for a meeting with Tokio when you're drawings are on the table.
The craftsman has to understand the matter in few seconds. If not, he will raise the price for your production lot because it is "too complicated"... 8-)
Hmm...must be different in your part of the world. 8-)

My experience over the past 50 years is that threaded holes are called out on the drawing as a note at the end of a leader line. In fact, with a modeled thread, how does one tell, from a drawing or image, what the diameter and thread pitch are?

In the past, when companies had rows of drafting boards and folks manning them, a simple succession of lines would be drawn with a leader line detailing the thread. Anything more would be considered an inefficient waste of the draftsman's time and hence company money.

Direct from instructional text on the subject:
ThreadCallout.jpg
ThreadCallout.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 904 times
ThreadCallout-3D.jpg
ThreadCallout-3D.jpg (308.79 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Techdraw needed 5 sec to generate the drawing (including the 60 nuts from fasteners-wb).
We never show the threads in our detail drawings...
mast_foundation.FCStd
(628.64 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Done with
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19697 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8832356802011bf5d70e9d6f0efa89c47bc70a91
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
flanges.JPG
flanges.JPG (53.5 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

You could be surprised how many times people* are interpreting "M6" as an hole for M6 screws.... :lol:

The specific symbol (two concentric circles with the outer one dashed) is not available at the moment in the Techdraw workbench. It would be nice if I could right-click on a circle and mark it as threaded-hole and observe the representation changing accordingly.

For the moment I try to avoid ambiguities as much as I can by adding a zoomed/detailed (even 3D) view of the zone. Unfortunately this is unpractical with Techdraw. So I export the 3D images and then I add them to the drawings in a second step by using a graphic application (i.e. Inkscape).

(*) located in China, for example. : ) : ) : )
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

thschrader wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:26 pm Techdraw needed 5 sec to generate the drawing (including the 60 nuts from fasteners-wb).
If you check carefully, there is no thread visible in the 60 nuts. In this cases Techdraw works without problems. 8-)
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:41 pm If you check carefully, there is no thread visible in the 60 nuts...... 8-)
Yes, I know. There is no need to display the threads in our drawings. The drawing with the clamp/nuts is
the only part where we draw the nuts explicit, to show the purpose of the red clamps.
In all other drawings we only give the srew type / DIN manual by text. The steel-workers know what to do.
Otherwise we wouldnt contact them... :o
screws.JPG
screws.JPG (38.26 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Was this drawings made with FreeCAD?
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:27 pm Was this drawings made with FreeCAD?
Autocad. Our customer wants all drawings in native dwg-format.
The layer-structure, text fonts, line style, colors ... is completely dictated by the customer.
I use FC/techdraw to assist our CAD-guys when we have complex parts and for statics (FEM).
Like this project:
example.JPG
example.JPG (138.27 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

At the moment I have no money to buy a commercial product. :oops:
As I wrote, it would be fine if Techdraw would allow to manually put in evidence tapped drills with some "decorations".

Alternatively, it would be fine if the Fastener Workbench could offer the simplified representation and not only the thread=on/off option (and then if Techdraw could be able to somehow recognize such type of solids.)