TechDraw and unicode in dimension text

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

TechDraw and unicode in dimension text

Post by drmacro »

Trying to add a unicode diameter symbol to a dimension.

ctrl-shft-u2300 does not insert a 'u' and 2300 is prepended to the dimension value.

Did the process change in 0.19 ( I tested in daily build and the latest appimage.)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Syres
Veteran

Re: TechDraw and unicode in dimension text

Post by Syres »

drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Nope, none of those work. :?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

I've got a small dual boot partition purely for Linux AppImage testing (99% of the time I use Windows) and I can confirm that not just in Techdraw but in FreeCAD as a whole neither of the 'manual' ways to create a diameter symbol work but on both my Linux Appimage and Windows builds the Draft dimensioning and Techdraw dimensioning of a circle brings up the diameter symbol as expected, hence I've never noticed this before.

The only workaround for when you have no choice is to open Text Editor and create the diameter symbol in there and copy it across to the field you need in FreeCAD.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19285 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8b2e318f15ee6304e8d89f48b2ac45af3bf61aed
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Syres wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 pm I can confirm that not just in Techdraw but in FreeCAD as a whole neither of the 'manual' ways to create a diameter symbol work
Apparently a wide spread (but not universal) problem with Qt5 applications is that they don't support shift-control-u without help. This help involves something called "ibus" and "input methods" neither of which I've figured out yet.

More googling required.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm
Syres wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 pm I can confirm that not just in Techdraw but in FreeCAD as a whole neither of the 'manual' ways to create a diameter symbol work
Apparently a wide spread (but not universal) problem with Qt5 applications is that they don't support shift-control-u without help. This help involves something called "ibus" and "input methods" neither of which I've figured out yet.

More googling required.
Does that go along with the QT issue that causes the scrunched down combo boxes on Ubuntu 19.10? :lol: