How to get picture with higher resolution

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PiotrG

How to get picture with higher resolution

Post by PiotrG »

I am trying to find how to get a printable picture of what I will do with FreeCAD and can't find.
I don't need a high quality rendering. What I see in 3D window (when changed background to be white) is OK except I'd like to have a 600dpi A4 picture. Getting screen-shot and making it a little smaller I can reach about 100dpi. I don't know how to cheat FC to think the monitor is 6x bigger.

It looks that the only solution is rendering. So even didn't planned it I installed PovRay and Luxrender.
I am working with Windows 7.

With PovRay I didn't found povray.exe to point to it (as I read somewhere I should) so I pointed in configuration the POV-Ray\v3.7\pvengine.exe.
When I try rendering and it asks for output file I navigate to main directory D:\ and press two times letter a and Enter. Then I get the window telling what it is trying to do. I noticed that when I move the window position its text changes and I add the screen-shot of it.
From line 3 I understand that D:\aa.bmp file will be created but from text at bottom I understand that it can't open D:\aa.bmp.png.
I have never noticed any problems with file accessing at D:\. Sometimes Windows has something against accessing files in C:\Program Files (Windows things it is his own directory I think).
Do you know what is wrong.

With Luxrender I get the result as in next attached file. I don't know why it uses different color than I have set for my element. It looks that when I have set a camera position the background also was rotated (I assumed that I rotate only my element) and that it also ignores that I have set a white background (I wont to print at paper only the element and not its shadows). How to make a background white? How to get a bitmap output?

If it is possible to get higher resolution like screen-shot form 3D view then I am not asking about renderers. If it is not possible then do you know how to solve my problems with renderers. I don't need both. Let at least one work to give me high resolution (not high quality) output.
Attachments
Luxrender
Luxrender
Lux.png (260.84 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
PovRender
PovRender
Pov2.png (109.86 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
openBrain
Veteran

Re: How to get picture with higher resolution

Post by openBrain »

Tools -> Save picture ? ;)

EDIT : 'Extended' button on bottom of the dialog give you access to resolution parameters. ;)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

The "!!! 10000x10000" there actually sets 1x1 size. Setting 10000x1000 by hand works :)
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

openBrain wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:51 pm Tools -> Save picture ?
Tried, but "Cannot save null Image" even if I select in tree the part I wont to be printed.
So I went to Image Workbench. It has only 3 buttons. I have tried it a week ago, but couldn't find how I can add to tree the image of my element to later Tools-> Save. It looks for me that Image WB is to read the bitmap files into FC document but don't know for what.
First two buttons ask me to select a file (I understand that to be loaded - it is not what I wont). The third button I can select two points by clicking (don't know their minings), I can enter a distance, but wherever I click I can't step over Select ImagePlane. I just wont the same as I have in 3D view but clicking in it (its backround) don't allow to step over that question. So I suppose that I should someway add the ImagePlane to tree view. But how? Then after adding I probably need some way to place and position the element in that view. Why it just can't be the same as in 3D view.
Having not success with Image WB I tried Drawing WB and it is enough clear for me. Then few days later I start to read about rendering and really forgot those experiments with trying to have an image to be saved.
So I suppose what I don't know is how to add the Image and how to tell FC what should be at that image. Than probably Tools -> Save picture will work.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

PiotrG wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 pm
openBrain wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:51 pm Tools -> Save picture ?
Tried, but "Cannot save null Image" even if I select in tree the part I wont to be printed.
This is basically due to bad compatibility between Qt5 and Intel GFX drivers.
Best solution is to upgrade your FreeCAD to a recent build with Qt5.12 (this version solved a lot of GFX issues).
Another solution is to use a Qt4 version of FreeCAD but this isn't sustainable as Qt4 is obsolete. ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

kisolre wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:43 pm The "!!! 10000x10000" there actually sets 1x1 size. Setting 10000x1000 by hand works :)
git commit 84229b430
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

openBrain wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:23 pm bad compatibility between Qt5 and Intel GFX drivers.
For me 2 new TLS-es (Three Letter Shortcuts) :)
So I understand that my idea that I probably need to add Image to tree-view is wrong. I need not to do it.
openBrain wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:23 pm Best solution is to upgrade your FreeCAD to a recent build with Qt5.12
I suspect it means one of two files:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
but what is the difference between Conda and LP_12.1.2? Which one is better choice?
No one word about it in explanation before file lists.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

For me 2 new TLS-es (Three Letter Shortcuts)
Qt is the GUI toolkit used by FreeCAD. In version 5 it has reworked its usage of the OpenGL API.
but what is the difference between Conda and LP_12.1.2? Which one is better choice?
I assume it doesn't matter.

Once you have downloaded and installed v0.19 you go to Tools > Save picture and click the Extend button. There you have many options like setting the image size and now you can also select the offscreen rendering method:
Offscreen (new) -- uses Qt's offscreen rendering facility
Offscreen (old) -- uses the offscreen rendering function of the scene graph library (Coin3d)
Framebuffer (custom) -- uses a somewhat different API of Qt
Framebuffer (as is) -- reads the content directly from the graphic card
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

wmayer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:48 pm Once you have downloaded and installed v0.19 you go to Tools > Save picture and click the Extend button.
Thanks. Will try.
But today didn't found a moment for it (21:00 is coming - time to go home and not do experiments :) )
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

wmayer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:48 pminstalled v0.19
Ok. It works. And even when exporting to pdf I don't get empty page as previously but ....
When I try to Export I get a question to select what to export.
If I select it, it is exported but not with original colors but with colors of selection (I've got everything lite-green).

Is there a way to Export to pdf with right colors or not (not 0.19 yet)?