Merge sketches and other questions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Merge sketches and other questions

Post by TheMarkster »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:11 pm I don't fully agree. If the sketches are not attached to faces, then creating fillets as early as possible increases the stability of the model with respect to earlier steps.
If the fillets are created at the end, then every change corrupts the with some certainty the fillets. If the are placed early in the modeling sequence, then all subsequent steps don't corrupt the fillets.
True, you cannot break an already done fillet with any change later in the tree, but with this qualification: as long as the subsequent steps happen later in the tree. It's when you go back up the tree where the fillets (and chamfers) are vulnerable to topological naming. Fillets, by their very nature, will always be vulnerable to topological naming because there is no getting around the requirement to specify which edge by name to fillet, e.g. Edge23. In this sense we think of making a fillet as equivalent to attaching to a face/edge insofar as topological naming is concerned as both operations will leave the model vulnerable to breaking if changes are made further up the tree. In other words, if we are 100% certain we will not be going up the tree to modify some earlier sketch we can safely ignore topological naming issues and do such things as attaching a sketch to a face at that point.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Troymx576 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:49 pm After reading over what was suggested I redid the part in the correct order of operations and worked within the confines of the object and it came out correctly. Thanks for the help.

Now a new question and issue.

I made a circle, pad it. I then went on the face and did a sketch that will be an extrude when done. I did not have it finished and saved it. Opened it again and go the sketch, but I can not move my new points. They are locked in place. I am thinking I have something turned on or did not turn something off. When I searched the forum is keeps showing how to lock a position once in place so I am not sure.

Thanks
Troy
You cannot move the circle because it is (probably) constrained by its central point to some other point coincidentally.
Troymx576

Post by Troymx576 »

TheMarkster wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:52 pm
Troymx576 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:49 pm After reading over what was suggested I redid the part in the correct order of operations and worked within the confines of the object and it came out correctly. Thanks for the help.

Now a new question and issue.

I made a circle, pad it. I then went on the face and did a sketch that will be an extrude when done. I did not have it finished and saved it. Opened it again and go the sketch, but I can not move my new points. They are locked in place. I am thinking I have something turned on or did not turn something off. When I searched the forum is keeps showing how to lock a position once in place so I am not sure.

Thanks
Troy
You cannot move the circle because it is (probably) constrained by its central point to some other point coincidentally.
I should have explained that better.

If put any point on the sketch area and it is stuck in that location. I have not put on constraints on it and it cat not move even if I try to put constraints to move it or if I manually try to move it with the pointer and mouse.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Attach the file containing an example of an immovable point.
Troymx576

Post by Troymx576 »

here is the file
Attachments
biohazard symbol.FCStd
symbol
(10.56 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

The sketch has an error, hence the unsolved message. Always try to pay attention to the solver messages so when there's an issue you can resolve it before continuing. In the constraints list delete the last constraint (a vertical constraint).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TheMarkster wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:50 pm In other words, if we are 100% certain we will not be going up the tree to modify some earlier sketch we can safely ignore topological naming issues and do such things as attaching a sketch to a face at that point.
That's a rather trivial statement. The trick is that the sketches are not attached to faces. Then they are not affected by any fillets and the overall stability is increased by placing the fillets early in the tree.
Saying stability is oncreased, does not mean it is perfectly stable.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Troymx576

Post by Troymx576 »

TheMarkster wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:56 pm The sketch has an error, hence the unsolved message. Always try to pay attention to the solver messages so when there's an issue you can resolve it before continuing. In the constraints list delete the last constraint (a vertical constraint).
Thank you. I see the error message now, but I do not know how to know what it is for. Is there a way to click or know how what is causing it?
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Troymx576 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:28 pm Thank you. I see the error message now, but I do not know how to know what it is for. Is there a way to click or know how what is causing it?
When you first notice the message if you have been watching it then the thing that caused it will be the last thing you did before seeing it, in which case pressing Undo will fix it. I figured it was the last constraint you added, which turned out to be the case.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

When you recompute the object in error or the whole model, you can hover over the item in the tree for showing the error. You can redirect error messages to report view (Preferences->General->Output).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.