Arch Fence Object Sample File Request

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Whit Alexander

Arch Fence Object Sample File Request

Post by Whit Alexander »

I'm having newbie challenges getting the Arch Workbench's Fence tool to work. It would help me greatly if someone could please post a sample file with a simplest base case of a Fence object. I've seen posts with images of the beautiful results possible from the tool, and nice fence sections examples completed without the fence tool, but have not yet found a file with an actual Fence object.

I've tried various methods to create rudimentary section, post, and path components but continue to get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD Development Builds\FreeCAD_0.19.21673_x64_LP_12.1.6_PY3QT5-WinVS2015\Mod\Arch\ArchFence.py", line 109, in execute
obj, pathwire, downRotation)
File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD Development Builds\FreeCAD_0.19.21673_x64_LP_12.1.6_PY3QT5-WinVS2015\Mod\Arch\ArchFence.py", line 137, in calculatePostPlacements
placements = Draft.calculatePlacementsOnPath(
<class 'AttributeError'>: module 'Draft' has no attribute 'calculatePlacementsOnPath'
1641.72 <App> Document.cpp(3760): Failed to recompute Unnamed#Fence: module 'Draft' has no attribute 'calculatePlacementsOnPath'
Recompute failed! Please check report view.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21673 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e1cfaf129866b3482bf8650e8993089a834747f0
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Thanks for any insights!

-Whit
vocx
Veteran

Re: Arch Fence Object Sample File Request

Post by vocx »

Whit Alexander wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:22 pm ...
placements = Draft.calculatePlacementsOnPath(
<class 'AttributeError'>: module 'Draft' has no attribute 'calculatePlacementsOnPath'
This tool, Arch Fence, is broken at the moment. The function calculatePlacementsOnPath was moved and modified, so it seems Arch Fence wasn't updated accordingly. This tool is relatively new, and it doesn't seem to be widely used, so that's the reason nobody has reported errors until now.

I submitted pull request #3639 to fix the error, but it seems it requires more changes to completely fix the tool.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Whit Alexander

Post by Whit Alexander »

Thanks kindly for so rapid and definitive a response. Much appreciated.

Good to know. I had success building out fence lines with basic arrays but was eager to see how the tool might better automate the task. Hope to see it return.

Thanks again.
freeCAD-TG

Post by freeCAD-TG »

Hi,

never used this tool before, wanted to explore it since a few weeks.

3 files to explore:
fence test - 01 => created path (X-Y plane), with 2 bodies

fence test - 02 => used the fence tool => selected bodies + and path => error: that was the worker who wanted to be paid before (i'm joking)

fence test - 03 => pushed the bodies in different part containers => that gave more or less something that seems to be a fence (however there is a placement problem)

If you get the solution woud be nice to post it for others,

Thanks in advance, have a nice time,
Attachments
fence test - 03.FCStd
(151.99 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
fence test - 02 (error).FCStd
(145.01 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
fence test - 01.FCStd
(21.78 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Whit Alexander wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:52 pm I had success building out fence lines with basic arrays...
An Arch Fence is essentially a Draft PathArray, so you should be able to build fences in this way as well.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
furti

Post by furti »

freeCAD-TG wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:08 pm f you get the solution woud be nice to post it for others,
I used "fence test - 01". You have to attach the first sketch of your bodies for the post and section to the XY Plane and not the XZ Plane. Otherwise the Placement calculation does not work correctly. I changed the bodies and now it looks like a fence.

I don't know why the second section is missing and the last section is not correctly oriented. The tool needs some fixes i think.

I tested this in a very old 0.19 version. Had no time to updated in a while :oops:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18504 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: f66023a646db4b2502bb3637897443b3525ca3c7
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Austria (de_AT)
Attachments
fence test - 01.FCStd
(159.9 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

furti wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:37 pm I don't know why the second section is missing and the last section is not correctly oriented. The tool needs some fixes i think.
Wandererfan and I modified a bit the internal code of the PathArray, so this may affect this Arch Fence object. I suggest taking a look at draftobjects/patharray.py.