Choppy movements when using SpaceMouse on Windows

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gurft

Choppy movements when using SpaceMouse on Windows

Post by gurft »

I'm having issues with the model 'jumping' when I'm using my SpaceMouse to orbit and pan. These operations work fine when using the mouse, but it's almost like watching terrible stop motion when using the SpaceMouse for the same operations.

I've already confirmed that everything is properly unchecked in the 3DConnexxion driver so that double events aren't being sent per the Wiki, and that has helped significantly, but it is still unusable. I also confirmed that the 3D mouse settings are all at default under Customization.

I'm going to try and spin up a Linux VM and try it there to see if I experience a difference, but was hoping maybe there is something simple that I'm missing to get things working smooth.

Here's the output of my About::FreeCAD

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21911 +2545 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 04c80c99eee0f7d2f761bdc7d8b32c077adefdec
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0

Not being a QT developer I did also take a look at the code for how the SpaceMouse is handled on Windows, and I don't see anything that smacks me in the face here. Just looks like the raw events are passed through the user filters then handed off to Move3D, so the only other possible thing I could see it being is some polling/timing issue...

Any help is appreciated!
gurft

Re: Choppy movements when using SpaceMouse on Windows

Post by gurft »

So interestingly, I spun up a VM (Ubuntu Latest) and installed FreeCad 0.19 from snap. Once I fixed an apparmor issue (Needed to add access to /run/spcnav.sock) everything works great and I get phenominally clean resolution when orbiting/etc. This leads me to believe that it possibly is an issue with how FreeCAD and QT are interacting with the SpaceNavigator events.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

gurft wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:46 pm Version: 0.19.21911 +2545 (Git)
Branch: LinkStage3
Any help is appreciated!
If you are using realthunder's branch, you must contact him, as he has made several changes to his code, so the general public that is using the main version may not be aware of these issues.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
gurft

Post by gurft »

This is a really good point, I'll reinstall with 0.19 (not realthunder's branch) and see if the results are the same.

It did push me to take stock of all my apps and found that with the exception of ONE (I'm looking at you Cricut Design Center) all of them have native Linux support, so may just switch this machine to Ubuntu permanently and run Windows in a VM.