screw threads v16 - 19 question

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mack5

screw threads v16 - 19 question

Post by mack5 »

hi
can freecad v 16 - 19 make 3 mm or other sizes of screws that can then print bolts and nuts on a 3 d printer? if so can some point me to to a help vid or a section in the help manual?

drmacro
Veteran

Re: screw threads v16 - 19 question

Post by drmacro »

You have a 3D printer that can print 3mm screws?

:shock:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

You could try the Thread Profile workbench

or the Fasteners workbench
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
mack5

Post by mack5 »

hi
thanks everyone i have not started trying the above links but will both of them make 3d printed threads? i have a ender pro printer.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Here the question is not "Can you design such 3D printable threads?" but rather "what is the final goal?" You can design thread with OD of 0.1mm and 0.01mm pitch. And FreeCAD will properly handle that. But this will not be printable or easily machinable by any method. So what is your final goal? You want to have threads for display? Or you want to have threads for holding things together? Will they just position things or hold any significant load?
leocadle

Post by leocadle »

You need the Fasteners Workbench, use the addon-manager to add it, then you need to go to Preferences scroll down to Fasteners and set the thread to be 3D Printing compatible, I am still testing it as the threads so far have printed fine but don't match very well metal threads. Yes my dimensionality is good and tested. The only thing I have not tested yet is the inverted parameter.