[solved] select a shape

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herrdeh

[solved] select a shape

Post by herrdeh »

Hi to everybody,

I'm a very beginner with FreeCAD. Tried to rotate or extrude boxes or cylinders, selected the item by clicking once, colour changed to greenish, then selected "rotate" and typed in something like 90 dgrs.

I ever get the message "Select a shape for revolution (extrusion, etc. ...), first".
How does FreeCAD want me to select the item to work on?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Wolf
Last edited by herrdeh on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorik
Founder

Re: select a shape

Post by yorik »

It's always useful to post your system info as asked on the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" topic on top of this forum...

But I would say for some reason your objects were not selected (maybe you deselected them, I can't say). Make sure they are highlighted in the tree view when you press the rotate button. In any case, as the command tells you, you can also pick an object after you pressed the button.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

herrdeh wrote:Hi to everybody,

I'm a very beginner with FreeCAD. Tried to rotate or extrude boxes or cylinders, selected the item by clicking once, colour changed to greenish, then selected "rotate" and typed in something like 90 dgrs.

I ever get the message "Select a shape for revolution (extrusion, etc. ...), first".
How does FreeCAD want me to select the item to work on?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Wolf
Hi Wolf, welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.

When you say rotate, are you wanting to rotate the orientation of the part or are you wanting to revolve a shape around an axis (like a lathe extrude)? If you are wanting to rotate the parts orientation, you need to use Edit > Placement. There you will get a dialog in your combo view that will allow you to do this. If you are wanting to rotate a shape (create a lathed part from a shape profile) then you need to use a 2D shape to perform that function. You can not Revolve 3D parts. Posting a file along with your FreeCAD info would be of help too.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

yorik wrote:It's always useful to post your system info as asked on the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" topic on top of this forum
quick61 wrote:Posting a file along with your FreeCAD info would be of help too.
Hi Wolf, if you do this we can better help get you started.
herrdeh

Post by herrdeh »

Hello everybody,

thanks a lot for the quick reply. Mark's pointing me to "placement" looks like the right thing to to.

Thanks a lot
Wolf