Need assistance designing a tool

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Need assistance designing a tool

Post by openBrain »

torvictech wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:21 pm With the 'arch' I was hoping that the entire shape can be arched, just like I have noted in the new attachment. In essence, the back of the tool is not flat, but has an arch as the front.
Do you mean that it looks like the plate is bent (with a shape as the red line)?

Also can all the sides of the tool have 'filleted' edges with an angle that makes it look nice
Sure. Easier doing it when the rough model is OK. ;)
perhaps if the tool had a solid border throughout then all edges would look good.
Up to you. It's possible to have a surrounding rim in which ends the waffle grid.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

OK. Missed attachment when I was writing the post above. Everything is clear now. :)
torvictech

Post by torvictech »

Almost there...would it be possible to perhaps record a video/screen session as you design this, so that if i need to make some small adjustments i can see how to make them? Thanks so much. Vic
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

torvictech wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:24 pm Almost there...would it be possible to perhaps record a video/screen session as you design this, so that if i need to make some small adjustments i can see how to make them? Thanks so much. Vic
Nothing is impossible but that would be a tough work to record some screencast. And IMO would not be so efficient. Once the model is finalized, I'll rename everything in the tree to give a sensible name. Also can tell some words about how is built the model. ;)
Step 3 ready. Closer & closer. :)
tool3.png
tool3.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
I added a surrounding rim so you can see how it looks. If you want to see the model without it, just delete the AdditivePipe in the tree. Beware, computation time can be quite significant (some minutes on my old PC). :)
The hole may also deserve a rim eventually.
I rounded the main corners also to remove the sharp effect.
File is here => https://framadrop.org/r/RLgWHCHKGu#VrtH ... NY7sLlFrQ=

EDIT : the right/left section is an arc of circle but could virtually be modified to any shape.
torvictech

Post by torvictech »

Last adjustments, before print :D

1. Add the solid border around the top hole
2. Move the hole up, as per attachment
3. Create cut-out from hole (from bottom/right side of the hole - eg. can continue the hottom of hole all the way out) to the right side (for easy sliding in/out)
4. Move logo down and center in the lower part, as per the attachment
5. Make the shape angle/bent a little more

After this, I will 3D print it and show you the intended purpose... I am not 100% sure about the fit, so that will probably be the greatest final adjustment (size).

Cheers, Vic.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.64 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

torvictech wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:29 pm 3. Create cut-out from hole (from bottom/right side of the hole - eg. can continue the hottom of hole all the way out) to the right side (for easy sliding in/out)
Just to be sure, cut-out means a complete material removal from hole up to side ?
After this, I will 3D print it and show you the intended purpose... I am not 100% sure about the fit, so that will probably be the greatest final adjustment (size).
I'm curious how will print something with such fine details. ;)
Just about the logo, maybe you could find a cooler font. ;) For final print.
torvictech

Post by torvictech »

Just to be sure, cut-out means a complete material removal from hole up to side ?
Yes, that is right and if you can please ensure that the solid border is there too that would be great.

I don't know if my 3D printer prints different colors, so for now same color should be fine ;)

I will take a picture once printed.

Thanks, Vic.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Does that match your expectation ?
tool4.png
tool4.png (30.77 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
File is here => https://framadrop.org/r/HFvmAPhOpf#lIik ... ymLiQgLwI=
torvictech

Post by torvictech »

Great, I will print later tonight and send you prints. :)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Can't wait to see a picture of it. :) Probably for me that will be tomorrow. ;)