[Solved] Request for collaboration: Creating a visual flow chart for reporting bugs

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Request for collaboration: Creating a visual flow chart for reporting bugs

Post by triplus »

Now when we known what needs to be done somebody will need to take the lead and dictate the changes through. Preferably one of the potential new contributors that haven't done something like that in the past yet.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'm thinking that having the
simple flow chart for a new/average user to deal with a bug/potential bug
to be visible on the tracker would be ideal. So I'm thinking of how to design it to fit our current tracker...again not my strength but I'm inspired by all the feedback in this thread so far.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote:again not my strength
Or you could look at it like this. Five years back i asked a question:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=2203

And i still haven't figure it out:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16954

P.S. Start up Inkscape and try to create something horizontal and compact (based on the feedback gathered). You can rest assured that after few days of working on it (and after you decide to share the result) it will be properly evaluated.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is a proposal with a pure horizontal layout to keep the height small.
I used different colors for users and developers, so the user can see, that it is only the developers responsibility to close the ticket, the user is not asked for confirmation.
The second step could be extended and both paths could be flowing together to have a common task with the forum discussion, but I hope this simple diagram can transport the message better.
Attachments
FreeCADTicketProcess2.png
FreeCADTicketProcess2.png (35.26 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote:Here is a proposal with a pure horizontal layout to keep the height small.
I used different colors for users and developers, so the user can see, that it is only the developers responsibility to close the ticket, the user is not asked for confirmation.
The second step could be extended and both paths could be flowing together to have a common task with the forum discussion, but I hope this simple diagram can transport the message better.
+1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

chrisb wrote:Here is a proposal with a pure horizontal layout to keep the height small.
Amazing.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

This looks very good, I would just suggest "if already reported" rather than "if reported before" and "issue to be reported" over "error to be reported"
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kkremitzki wrote: This looks very good, I would just suggest "if already reported" rather than "if reported before" and "issue to be reported" over "error to be reported"
Attachments
errorReport3.png
errorReport3.png (35.17 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Is it possible to make a forum discussion mandatory before creating a ticket? I have seen here lately several posts which have been created afterwards. If possible the link to an existing discussion could be a mandatory field, although I am afraid there is no way out of these "I have been told to create this forum post or else I couldn't create a ticket"-posts.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If forum thread is created i don't see real issue here. As if it turns out it was false alarm the issue simply gets closed and that is that.

P.S. Where (and how) to put visual flow chart created in this thread to better facilitate reporting bugs. That likely is a more interesting question.