FEM Workbench aligned to guidelines

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: FEM Workbench aligned to guidelines

Post by bernd »

Thanks. May I ask more questions. Are all these different icons for one icon save in one svg ? Do you update https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork with your new created icons?

BTW: We should make the spritesheets available at this artwork page somehow ?!
agryson

Post by agryson »

bernd wrote:Are all these different icons for one icon save in one svg ? Do you update https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork with your new created icons?
BTW: We should make the spritesheets available at this artwork page somehow ?!
I don't really understand your first question - Each icon is its own svg if that's what your asking? But don't worry too much about the wiki, I'll be updating progressively (I've already updated many of them, but am only at about 40%). Spritesheets can be useful as thumbnails or previews, but I think there's still value of having the icons individually.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

One of the goals of the Artwork page is to publish the icons for re-use, a spritesheet would defeat that purpose. I don't really see the use of providing spritesheets as well as individual icons...
agryson

Post by agryson »

NormandC wrote:One of the goals of the Artwork page is to publish the icons for re-use, a spritesheet would defeat that purpose. I don't really see the use of providing spritesheets as well as individual icons...
I would tend to agree - while it's labour intensive to update the individual icons, it's not really a thing that needs to be done very often.

But using the spritesheets is useful for comparison, spotting inconsistencies, reducing network requests etc. so they do have their place in some scenarios.

But I have fallen behind in updating the wiki. I'll get on that in the coming week or two.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

agryson wrote:
bernd wrote:Are all these different icons for one icon save in one svg ?
I don't really understand your first question - Each icon is its own svg if that's what your asking?
Never mind, my misstake. For some reason I thought the icons of the light back ground where different from the icons on the dark back ground, but on the repo is one file only. But they are equal, there is just one icon :oops:
agryson

Post by agryson »

bernd wrote:I thought the icons of the light back ground where different from the icons on the dark back ground, but on the repo is one file only. But they are equal, there is just one icon
Ah, yes, I understand now.

Yeah, there's only one of each icon with no background, I just generate a preview of it for the forum on multiple backgrounds to give an idea of what contrast will be like for users with different themes or platforms.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Small remark about "spheres". I have been observing this for a while now and i can see consistency. And that is good. What is not that good is spheres look a bit like buttons.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I just fired up the FEM module for the first time since this PR got in, and I just gotta say, they look even better inside the application. The workbench's appearance seems SIGNIFICANTLY higher quality now 8-)
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
agryson

Post by agryson »

kkremitzki wrote:The workbench's appearance seems SIGNIFICANTLY higher quality now 8-)
Sweet . Mission accomplished 8-)
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

agryson wrote:
kkremitzki wrote:The workbench's appearance seems SIGNIFICANTLY higher quality now 8-)
Sweet . Mission accomplished 8-)
Hi agryson,
Nice work.
May i suggest a minor improvement. The third last symbol looks a bit different than the original. The new symbol suggests in comparison to the original a shift more than the original bending. Since this icon is connected to Paraview some users with Paraview -background will easier orient themselves if it looks more like the original. See for instance http://www.bu.edu/tech/files/images/fil ... ntmenu.jpg .
This is really minor and of low priority.
BR
Howil