Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 7332
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by Kunda1 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 pm

issue #0003060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)
The UI for adding and removing edges is tedious, slow, if somebody is forced to be productive with it, there are high chances of that person ultimately committing suicide. Probably it makes sense to create a separate feature request asking for an improvement
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features

adrianinsaval
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by adrianinsaval » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
abdullah wrote:
uwestoehr wrote:
Would you say these PRs tackle this ticket? 3061 3050
Or are there more improvements needed?

User avatar
uwestoehr
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by uwestoehr » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:55 pm

adrianinsaval wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:36 pm
Would you say these PRs tackle this ticket?...
Sine I use this almost daily for real-life projects. I would say fixed, despite I am the author of the commits. ;)

chrisb
Posts: 24265
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by chrisb » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:10 am

I use it as well and it works as designed and is a huge improvement. However, there are two things I would still like to have, but that might be worth a new feature request:

1) Having the possibility to remove all edges. I know that there were technical reasons to leave it for as it is, but from a users point of view it is cumbersome if you want to change a single edge to first add the new one and then remove the old.

2) Having the possibility to select the edges from the list. Currently they have to be searched in 3D view which is usually easy but not always, especially if toponaming is involved and the edge to be removed became some most tiny edge in some hidden corner.
Together with point 1) from above it would be great to have a "clear" button removing all edges. That's what is usually needed after toponaming changes.

adrianinsaval
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by adrianinsaval » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 am

+1 to chrisb's request, about removing the tiny edge, now you can select the edge and press del to get rid of it if it's not the only edge but it would be nice either way to be able to select from a list.
Can someone explain what is the limitation that doesn't let us have no edge selected? I'm guessing this is also the reason one has to select an edge before starting the utility, I think it would be better if we could start with no edge selected an then select edges either from the list or from 3D

User avatar
uwestoehr
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by uwestoehr » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:10 am

chrisb wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:10 am
1) Having the possibility to remove all edges.
You can delete all, but one edge. One edge must stay otherwise the fillet/chamfer object become invalid and you get an OCC error.

2) Having the possibility to select the edges from the list.
You can already select an edge from the list. You can also select several edges and the last selected one gets highlighted. Here an example (see that the highlighting changes wit every new selected edge.
Hnf8vYC1fp.gif
screencast
Hnf8vYC1fp.gif (83.89 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Last edited by uwestoehr on Sun May 03, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

adrianinsaval
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by adrianinsaval » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:56 am

uwestoehr wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:10 am
You can delete all, but one edge. One edge must stay otherwise the filled/chamfer object your become invalid and you get an OCC error.
Couldn't this be handled before sending it to OCC?

chrisb
Posts: 24265
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by chrisb » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 am

Thanks for the hint with the removal.

If an edge is added/removed the state before adding any edge is displayed. The same is what I expect when removing all edges. So if you don't tell OCC at all that there is or will be a fillet, no error should be raised from that side.

User avatar
uwestoehr
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by uwestoehr » Sun May 03, 2020 11:52 am

adrianinsaval wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:56 am
Couldn't this be handled before sending it to OCC?
Sure, but there were complaints because this is special knowledge. Users deleted all edges and closed the dialog. In this moment you get an error. So keeping at least one is an obviously necessary safe guard.

I don't understand hereby your complaints because the message you get when deleting all edges at once is clear and you know what to do: delete all but one.select new edges and delete the single one afterwards. I mean the need to delete all edges before adding new ones might only be necessary because of toponaming issues but the goal is to get rid of the toponaming issues soon.

chrisb
Posts: 24265
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Feature Request #3060: More streamlined UI for adding edges (e.g. for PDN Fillet tool)

Post by chrisb » Sun May 03, 2020 12:11 pm

uwestoehr wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:52 am
I don't understand hereby your complaints because the message you get when deleting all edges at once is clear and you know what to do
I did not complain about the message. A message, even it is a clear one, is not as good as a good workflow. If a newbee wants to replace all edges the current workflow is:
- select all edges
- remove them with RMB
- get a message - confirm
- select all but one edge
- remove
- add new edges
- select old edge
- remove.

Compare this to the proposed workflow:
- select all edges
- remove them with RMB
- add new edges

If the dialog is confirmed without any edge selected, show a message "You have to select at least one edge" and deny closing the dialog.

Post Reply