Icons for Part and Group

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: Icons for Part and Group

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 pm No not all yellow. ;) This is what the vote returned and got high level of consensus:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p186627
Yes, I know but it was effortless to finish the full set and share it in case it will be needed in the future ;)
triplus wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 pm Therefore i feel we should just do that. As for the PR i guess two options. Wait for @ickby to finish holiday or i guess go for it. If you need any help just ask (i will have time tomorrow). That is for Part icon. As for the Body icon i don't know. There is one already but the proposed one got high level of consensus.
I prefer then to wait for more concise indications. Thank you for the help, actually what I need is just pointing out the route (path) inside Master to place the .svg file and with what specific name you want/need it. If overwritting a preexisting one then is easier but if a new icon then I need this help.
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

pablogil wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 pm what I need is just pointing out the route (path) inside Master to place the .svg file and with what specific name you want/need it.
See this commit in PR 916. ickby had already added your old one.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I was just typing and @peterl94 responded. Anyway:

I noticed @ickby added Part and Group icon here:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/916

Maybe best to wait for the PR to get merged and after just to replace the Part (potentially Body) icon(s).

P.S. BUT what about Group feature icon. ;) What does it do and did we somehow overlook it was intended to be a part of this icon challenge? I guess in a way a good thing as two ongoing efforts are usually a bit harder to achieve compared to single ones. :)
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

triplus wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm BUT what about Group feature icon.
That PR adds a new global toolbar for the "Create Part" command and he also added the command for creating a standard group (a folder in the tree) to that toolbar. This is the icon he used: Group.svg
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see that useful right-click Group feature one can add to Tree view. I guess some could argue why not (in addition) Draft VisGroup. Maybe because features like Module would fit better on such toolbar in the future. ;)

Anyway i am happy consensus was build around Part icon. To me it i guess does make sense to try out new Body icon and see how it goes. As for Assembly icon. Too bad no new features for that in FreeCAD 0.17. ;) But the icon looks good and that in the end is something. As for the Group icon i guess proposals welcomed. ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 pm Thank you for the help, actually what I need is just pointing out the route (path) inside Master to place the .svg file and with what specific name you want/need it.
Create a pull request and in it add description please wait until PR 916 is merged:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/916

The icon paths are:

Body:

Code: Select all

src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/Resources/icons/PartDesign_Body_Tree.svg
src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/Resources/icons/PartDesign_Body_Create_New.svg
Part:

src/Gui/Icons/Geofeaturegroup.svg
Group:

src/Gui/Icons/Group.svg
Assembly (demo):

src/Mod/Assembly/Gui/Resources/icons/Assembly_Demo.svg
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

For completeness sake, this is what the latest part icons look like in context.
Part6a.png
Part6a.png (6.67 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Part8b.png
Part8b.png (6.6 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Capture9b.png
Capture9b.png (6.57 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Also, I misspoke about the Group icon. Evidently the icon I previously linked is not used for what I thought it was used for.
group.png
group.png (8.72 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

peterl94 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 am For completeness sake, this is what the latest part icons look like in context.
Thanks for providing the screenshots.

P.S. Looks good to me.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

peterl94 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 am For completeness sake, this is what the latest part icons look like in context.
+1 they look very nice :)