Icons for Part and Group

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: Icons for Part and Group

Post by pablogil »

I have followed the comments and I will do some new proposals from what you have all said. The idea is to show you some icons for body, part and assembly... hopefully this evening I will be able to post them
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

I'm still not happy with them, but I would like you to discuss which one approaches more to your understanding of:
  • body (for example v05 series)
  • part (for example v06 series)
  • assembly (for example v07 series)
icons.png
icons.png (19.89 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Attachments
Part_v05-to-v07.zip
(13.16 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

pablogil wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:53 pm I'm still not happy with them, but I would like you to discuss which one approaches more to your understanding of:
  • body (for example v05 series)
  • part (for example v06 series)
  • assembly (for example v07 series)
icons.png
Nice though
I would suggest v07 also for Part, to have a better distinction from Body... Part is already an Assembly when used in STEP loading/saving
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

I am starting to like this :) but IMO we should make them even more simple. Not that they are wrong as they are now, I think they just have too much details (lines that cut the shape that represent individual shapes...), this will probably just not work well with small icons.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
asm.svg
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
prt.svg
(8.62 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
bdy.svg
(6.21 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by saso on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

@saso when doing artwork proposals please always attach the preview image.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I feel that Body and Assembly icons aren't a part of this quest. Body feature already has an icon and new one wasn't requested. Assembly feature is non-existent ATM. Furthermore thinking about current Part feature itself as said there is ambiguity involved and an icon itself can't tackle that for now.

Said all that consensus still needs to be made at some point. Are we ready to take a vote based on all proposal for Part feature icon made in this thread? Or do we need to discuss some things further first? How should we do it? Prepare a sheet of all Part feature icon proposals made?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

As for suitable proposals here is the list:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/part

Part is "one of". Therefore suitable icon proposals are:

And:

a1/b1.

Number 1 and 2.

And there was one unfinished idea proposed:

Other proposals from @DeepSOIC, @yorik, @pablogil and @saso don't accurately describe the part as being a "one of". If the term used for the feature is wrong and something like a Composition should be used instead. First lead developer needs to acknowledge that and open a quest to change the term. After new icon quest request can be made to address the terminology change. Designer can't and shouldn't compensate for wrong terminology in my opinion. As that puts the designer in impossible situation if we request that. And the end user only ends up being confused regardless of the effort invested.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Any of these icon would represent Part better than the actual icon IMO, so from my side, any of @pabogil icons or suggestions would be fine
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK therefore lets say the vote is up for the next 24 hours and after we can count the votes to see where we are.

I vote for this proposal:

As it looks like the most finished one (but preferably to be done in blue color).
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

triplus wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:07 pm I feel that Body and Assembly icons aren't a part of this quest.
Well for me it makes sense to look at them together, they should be different enough to be quickly and easily identified in the tree and should help to tell the "story" how something is build. Personally I care less if the part icon looks exactly as a part should look like or not. I am however also ok with current body icon if others will be different enough.