Changing phrasing of "Copy to clipboard" in Help > About FreeCAD

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Changing phrasing of "Copy to clipboard" in Help > About FreeCAD

Post by kkremitzki »

I think the language of this button contributes to a common problem: people aren't aware that clicking it will include additional information that is needed for troubleshooting, so sometimes they include just a screenshot, etc.

Perhaps this phrasing should be changed? Something like "Copy <complete/additional> information to clipboard" or something like that?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Changing phrasing of "Copy to clipboard" in Help > About FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

+1
Copy extended information to clipboard
also works
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:19 pm I think the language of this button contributes to a common problem: people aren't aware that clicking it will include additional information that is needed for troubleshooting, so sometimes they include just a screenshot, etc.

Perhaps this phrasing should be changed? Something like "Copy <complete/additional> information to clipboard" or something like that?
We can try to, but I am pretty sure that it won't help.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

chrisb wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:29 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:19 pm I think the language of this button contributes to a common problem: people aren't aware that clicking it will include additional information that is needed for troubleshooting, so sometimes they include just a screenshot, etc.

We can try to, but I am pretty sure that it won't help.
I doubt it will fix the problem, but as things are now, the text on the button suggests "what you see is what you get", and it isn't until someone tries it and compares the results, or is told so after asking for help, that they realize there is a difference.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 pm I doubt it will fix the problem, but as things are now, the text on the button suggests "what you see is what you get", and it isn't until someone tries it and compares the results, or is told so after asking for help, that they realize there is a difference.
You are right, and it sure won't make things worse.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I think we could go one more step and center the button and make it more prominent... perhaps highlight or bold the letters?
about-button-centered.png
about-button-centered.png (190.59 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Would it be possible to resize/redesign the window to show all the info? I have enough local builds that I often copy to the clipboard and paste to a text file to make sure I have the build I think I do.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sort of getting off topic here but this addresses @sgrogan's request in a different way: The GIMP dev version puts the git hash on the canvas directly which is a nice timesaver for devs, testers, packagers etc... Perhaps for dev versions we can do something similar to this?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am Would it be possible to resize/redesign the window to show all the info? I have enough local builds that I often copy to the clipboard and paste to a text file to make sure I have the build I think I do.
+1 (same use case here)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 amThe GIMP dev version puts the git hash on the canvas directly which is a nice timesaver for devs, testers, packagers etc... Perhaps for dev versions we can do something similar to this?
I don't understand: we have the hash already, as shown in your last post here??