FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by Kunda1 »

Folks, here is the thing. FreeCAD is getting slammed with a lot of attention right now. Right in the middle of a very important code merge that has postponed a new release by over a 1/2 year. There is one main core dev, @wmayer who is the BDFL and essentially the keeper and maintainer of stability of the our codebase. A new logo design is important, and so are UI changes. But they also mean an crap-ton of changes not just to existing source code (and potential unmerged code) but to all the documentation, tutorials, forum, bugtracker, website, social media etc...etc... that are out there. Who will be in charge of the implcations of that. Sure you can sit and vote on a logo, but is now the time to implement the results? Look at other opensource projects like QGIS who started a structured campaign to change their logo a few years ago. When they rolled out said change it was with a major release and done uniformly across all their outlets (website, repos, social media etc....)

Alone we go faster, together we go farther. You want to fork FC, go right ahead. realthunder did. Thankfully he didn't stray too far and had the intention of merging the code back in to master...and we the FC community are now benefiting from it albeit rather slowly, But forking also can lead to other scenarios that are not favorable.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
derei

Post by derei »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:20 pm Alone we go faster, together we go farther. You want to fork FC, go right ahead. realthunder did. Thankfully he didn't stray too far and had the intention of merging the code back in to master...and we the FC community are now benefiting from it albeit rather slowly, But forking also can lead to other scenarios that are not favorable.
I completely support your attitude and I hope more will join it (as in they will allign their mindset to the idea that together we go farther). Contribution and working together is more important than debating who should decide and what. As I said, there is nothing to be decided yet, in regards to the logo. We need a large pool of ideas. The more the better.

The forking was just an example of the fact that is not imperative to follow a set path, and it was mainly aimed for the people pushing the idea that only "some" should have any word to say in this software.
Haides

Post by Haides »

I was asked to represent logo proposal as an icon, so here it is..

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Interesting idea: to have a fork where only the logo is different.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Haides

Post by Haides »

chrisb wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 pm Interesting idea: to have a fork where only the logo is different.
:D
Its not just the logo, but the lack of care for progress where is a lot to improve..
Haides

Post by Haides »

derei wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:12 am
obelisk79 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:44 am Well, this is just an unorganized mess so far. The thread is literally years old... and this is where we are. Is a new logo even being *seriously* considered at this point by the project leaders?
If it isn't considered, it should be; along with other changes/upgrades in all aspects of this software, unless the aim of it is to let it die in oblivion. But this is the cool part about LGPL: anyone can become a project leader. Just fork the original project and build a dedicated team around it!
So as I said, right now the concern should not focus at all on "project leaders" or "founders", but in how can each of us can contribute in a meaningful way.

I agree this is an unorganized mess, but as I keep repeating: it is messy because people are selfish. People think of themselves too much, own identity, own ego, rather than how their brain power can add to the collective brain power. I really consider that any discussion that even mentions "founders" or "leaders" at this moment to be pointless. Unless you are considering yourself a brainless sheep which needs guidance.
It doesn't have to be unorganized and messy. Most engineers are people using logic and reasoning to solve problems, not emotional responses. We can self-organize in the same way: by focusing together on a task, rather than trying to block its evolution because it makes us uncomfortable (which is an emotional response).

FreeCAD NEEDS an upgraded interface, an upgraded workflow (i personally discovered a lot of cumbersome procedures which could be simplified rather easily, without even having to rewrite the code at the core), and part of the upgrade is the logo. Yes, it does not add functionality, but it adds in appeal. And appeal is a contributing factor in people being drawn towards a software or not. And FC needs a committed userbase in order to thrive and evolve.
👏
Last edited by Haides on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haides

Post by Haides »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:20 pm Folks, here is the thing. FreeCAD is getting slammed with a lot of attention right now. Right in the middle of a very important code merge that has postponed a new release by over a 1/2 year. There is one main core dev, @wmayer who is the BDFL and essentially the keeper and maintainer of stability of the our codebase. A new logo design is important, and so are UI changes. But they also mean an crap-ton of changes not just to existing source code (and potential unmerged code) but to all the documentation, tutorials, forum, bugtracker, website, social media etc...etc... that are out there. Who will be in charge of the implcations of that. Sure you can sit and vote on a logo, but is now the time to implement the results? Look at other opensource projects like QGIS who started a structured campaign to change their logo a few years ago. When they rolled out said change it was with a major release and done uniformly across all their outlets (website, repos, social media etc....)

Alone we go faster, together we go farther. You want to fork FC, go right ahead. realthunder did. Thankfully he didn't stray too far and had the intention of merging the code back in to master...and we the FC community are now benefiting from it albeit rather slowly, But forking also can lead to other scenarios that are not favorable.
Better start then as soon as possible, or we can just give up..?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Haides wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:26 pm Better start then as soon as possible, or we can just give up..?
Do you really think your 3 posts above makes the active community think you really want to help/contribute in some way ? Seriously ? :roll:
Cyclonit

Post by Cyclonit »

I do like the idea of adding a new logo, but I think there are more pressing issues. Mostly an overhaul of the actual UI. Several contributors are working on this already (e.g. st_phan's Work on modern icon theme or HakanSeven12's Modern UI). These updates are the ones that need a lot of attention and contribution.

As others have pointed out, changing the logo impacts a lot of different things. I'd say that it should be a part of a much bigger push to update the UI. If you want to have an impact don't just create pretty logos. Contribute to the actual code, create concepts for alternative UIs etc.
Haides

Post by Haides »

openBrain wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:29 pm
Haides wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:26 pm Better start then as soon as possible, or we can just give up..?
Do you really think your 3 posts above makes the active community think you really want to help/contribute in some way ? Seriously ? :roll:
Sarcasm always helps a lot.. Thank you for that, community now takes you very seriously.

I did something, willing to do more.
Its the mindset of the ones like you why FreeCAD need intervention..
Last edited by Haides on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.